Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Last year we lost our Aunt to cancer right after Christmas. We spent our time with her on Christmas in her hospital room. Me and my husband and two children joined her kids in her hospital room last Christmas morning. They brought breakfast, each bringing a dish to pass. All of us gathered together to be by her side and celebrate the day with her. The nurses were amazed at the way the family gathered together around her side. It didn't surprise me one bit. We are a tight family. Sure, we have our differences but we love each other and are there for each other in times of need.

We left not too long after breakfast, as we had a four hour drive home and small children who were anxious to get home. My parents were there at the hospital later that day. It was my Mom's baby sister. Carol was her name. My Mom said the room was packed when she came and people were gathered in the hall all around her room. The nurses kept remarking they had never seen anything quite like it before. I have. I seen it when my Grandfather was dying of cancer in a bed at his home. We gathered around him, tending to him in his last days. I was about 12 at that time. I learned a lot about my family and death during that time. How powerful a family can be!

My Aunt will be sorely missed. She was one of those people that made people laugh and brought joy to everyone's life. When I close my eyes and see her she is always laughing or smiling. As my Mom says, she was full of "piss and vinegar". My husband thinks that's not such a nice thing to say. It is, it means that she was full fo the Dickens or had a little mischief in her. Not in a bad way but rather a good and funny way. When my Aunt's (and my Mom) were together they would laugh and carry on like as though they were drunk. They had not a drop of liquor in them. They thought it was funny that they could have such a good time and never really needed anything to boost their spirits. They did that for each other!

It will be a sad Christmas this year and Christmas will be forever changed. We move on though. The people who have passed stay in our hearts and celebrate these times with us through our love for them. I know a place will be set at our dinner tables this year for the people who have passed.

Forever in my heart a place is set for you Aunt Carol.

Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays to all. Be joyful. Feel peace.

3 comments:

Cristine said...

That is so wonderful to have such a close family! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Bunny said...

What a lovely tribute to your Aunt Carol. She lives through you and your families memories of her Lori. It sounds like you have a wonderful family.

Fresca said...

Thanks for this lovely post.

I have a friend who just lost his dad this Christmas week, and he said that while it was very sad, it was also a very spiritual experience:
he reminded me, as your post does too, that it can be a gift to the living as well as the dying to be present as a person journeys out of this life.

(+ wouldn't it be great to be remembered as someone who made people laugh?!)