Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Moroccan Chicken Salad


I imagine this would be a great salad in the summer but I decided to have it last night. Why? Because I was throwing together a fattening meal for everyone else at my daughters little birthday party. Yup, cake too. You know it was great anyway, even if it was a little chilly.

The picture doesn't show how heaping my plate was. I placed the salad on a bed of iceburg (I like very kind of lettuce there is). So with all the veggies already in it, that plate was heaping, heaping I tell yah! The recipe below is modified for one. Click on the link and you will find servings for more.

MOROCCAN CHICKEN SALAD
recipe source can be found here

3/4 cup rice, cooked
4 oz diced cooked chicken
5 kalamata olives
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of half of a lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
(I wished I had cilantro or mint to throw in as well)

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Pour over a bed of greens.

Bench Notes:
I imagine you can even make this a heated dish as well. If I make it again while it is cold I will warm it.
I think a tablespoon of raisins in it would be real good as well.

6 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds great. I love flavorful meals like this.

Sheila said...

Mideastern food is sooooo good; well I guess this is technically African or Mediterranean.

Adding this to a heap of lettuce is a perfectly healthy and "hearty" dinner idea. The lettuce practically has no calories and you get filled up.

kat said...

Love those seasonings, this is one to mark for summer.

Bunny said...

This looks good Lori, I could definitley make a meal of this!

giz said...

What a great looking salad Lori - I've been living on salads and I'm always on the lookout for the more interesting. I'm going to try this one.

grace said...

it sounds refreshing and lovely--i'll bet even those eating the fatty meal wanted some! :)