Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Simple Red Cabbage but delicious just the same

I really tried to do this cabbage justice but....

Amazingly, I lost five more pounds. Yeah. Two years ago when I joined Weight Watchers, I lost four my first week and it was a pound or two every week until I hit this major plateau that lasted nine weeks. Nine weeks. Do you know how agonizing that was? I tried everything in that time, more exercise, less food, more food, more protein... I talked to everyone about it. I researched about it. Nothing was budging. I thought I would eat my old way again and I stayed the same. So I stopped the effort. Oh, I still went to the gym, but I wasn't minding my portions. Of course the weight came back on. I had lost 25 pounds and over the past two years, I put it all back on again. It wasn't in vain though.

I learned that going back to your old way of eating and eating for emotional reasons will bring you right back to where you were and even past it!

I learned that pounds are not the only measure of success. These days I am focusing on the pounds of course but also how I feel. Going to the gym every day maybe a huge commitment but it has had big payoffs. I feel so much stronger. I'd even say that I am stronger than when I had lost that 25. I am able to lift heavier weights and I am able to go faster on the rowing machine and the arc trainer.

This recipe here may not be the most fascinating but it packs a huge flavor punch and it has a huge amount of fiber!

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
Based on Cooking Lights recipe

10 cups purple cabbage, chopped
1 onion, sliced lengthwise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 slices ( 1 oz)prosciutto, chopped
2 apples, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Heat oil in the pan until hot, add onion and prosciutto. Cook until the onion is soft and lightly golden. Add apple and cook two minutes more. Add cabbage and cook for about three minutes. Pour in vinegar and add the spices and salt. Cook until cabbage is soft and tender, about one hour or so.

Calories are 70 calories per cup.

5 comments:

Bunny said...

GOOd FOR YOU LORI!!! I think if we could all figure out why we over eat it would help us to loose weight. You go girl!!

kat said...

We had something similar on Christmas eve & it was so good but your right hard to photograph

grace said...

how colorful and healthy! i'd make this for myself, but cabbage is not nice to my digestive system... :)

Bunny said...

Lori if you email me your email address I will get you the information ou asked for about Becky's family, I looked but didn't see an email on you blog, thanks Lori!

The Blonde Duck said...

You can do it! That's such a wonderful loss!