Friday, June 26, 2009

Finnish Cauliflower Rye casserole

I have made this dish a couple times. Each time I learn something new. The two things that are very important are, use a good tasting cheese- sharp or gruyere and use a GOOD rye for this. The last time I made it I used regular bread figuring it would be okay. A little flat. Really use a good rye- it makes a huge difference. I would also like to say that the beer makes a big difference as well but I havent really played around with that. The nice thing about this recipe is that it is a great way to eat cauliflower.

Kukkakaalialaatikko (Finnish Cauliflower Rye casserole)
Say that five times fast but not if your Finnish- it would just be too easy!
recipe from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

1   Cup    beer
3 Cups rye bread cubes (the darker the better)
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp caraway seeds
4 eggs
3 Cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp dry mustard (or 2 tsp Dijon style prepared)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper to taste

At least an hour before cooking, pour the beer into a shallow bowl to
sit until it becomes flat. Dry the bread cubes on a baking
sheet in a 300 degree F oven until crisp but not browned
(probably 15 minutes).

Lightly coat a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large non-stick skillet, saute cualiflower with the caraway seeds
until just barely tender. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, cheese
and cauliflower. Spread in the prepared casserole dish.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mustard, coriander, pepper,
and flat beer. Pour the liquid over the bread and cauliflower in
the casserole dish. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes, until puffed
and golden.

Serves four.

11 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, I don't think the recipe transposed properly. Th right margin is being cut.

Lori said...

How weird is that? Thank you for letting me know. I think it is all fixed.

chow and chatter said...

sounds interesting so cool to learn Finnish food from ya!

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds absolutely delicious!!

Audax said...

Kukkakaalialaatikko!!!! I was born in Finland we have this all the time in Australia all the time. Yes good are right the cheese and the rye have to be good. I love Pea soup (Hernekeitto, hernesoppa)also great for a cold day.

kat said...

Oh that sounds heavenly! I'm gonna bookmark that for the fall

grace said...

that's one heck of a name--i've never seen so many a's in one word. :)
great unique dish, lori--that's the best way i've ever heard of to eat cauliflower.

Robin said...

This dish sounds so good to me, will have to give it a try some time!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

This sounds interesting. I can't get rye bread though so it wouldn't be the same with other kinds of bread.

Heather said...

How funny! I have this cookbook at home, too, and just used it to make Omenakakku. I recognized the recipe right away, because it was my runner up choice for making a Finnish dish. Good to know it's actually tasty! :)

Randuwa2 said...

I also love this recipe--made it again today for Christmas. Like all recipes, they are guides and we reform them to our tastes. I agree completely about the cheese, a really sharp cheddar is preferred. I've made two changes that work for me. 1) I use garlic cheddar croutons--easy peasy. 2) I blanch the cauliflower in boiling salt water for about 5-6 minutes (until it's aromatic) and avoid the butter. Including the fennel seeds with the egg mixture works just a well in terms of seasoning." Bon Apetite!