Friday, September 10, 2010

Back To School Treats


Every first day of school we have a celebration.  The first day of a new year of learning.  At this age- they are pretty excited when school starts so it is kind of a big deal.  I wonder at what point they are going to turn to me and say "ahhh, I don't want to go to school".  Then I will give them a whole lecture about how there are many children in the world that would love to go to school to learn but can't. How is that you instill gratitude like that? Like being grateful to have peas and cauliflower on their plates.  It is so frustrating sometimes to listen to a complaining, picky eater.  But I digress... back to school.

During the summer my cousin was here for a visit.  She taught me how to make Mickey Mouse pancakes and most of all she taught me when to flip.  She said she learned at the restaurant you don't flip pancakes until that shininess is gone.  I always flipped them when the bubbles started to form. Since then I have to say my pancakes have improved. 

The girls pretty much love anything with sprinkles.  Even if these cupcakes were terrible they would still go crazy over them.  I have to say the cupcakes were really good.  The frosting, well, it was okay.  I am working on a recipe for frosting.  I will let you know all about it when it is totally perfected.  Until then this is one of the better cupcake recipes I have made. It has a really nice taste and texture.

Vanilla Cupcakes
Adapted from “Black and White Chocolate Cake”
Dorie Greenspan, Baking From My Home To Yours
  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ¼ sticks (10 Tbs) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ c whole milk (I used 2%)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with liners.

Mix dry ingredients together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Beat the butter until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about five minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.

With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling until about 2/3 full. Bake for about 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes clean. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely before frosting.


Yield: about 18 to 20 cupcakes

12 comments:

Avril said...

Happy Back to School Lori!

Fun and yummy treats you made! :-)

Sheila said...

I have never found a recipe for cupcakes that I like (except chocolate). The texture is never right. I can't wait to try these; I have been busy everyday making back to school lunch treats for my kids. They would love these I think!

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww! My mom used to make me pancakes like that!

Dandy said...

How fun, I love the idea of the first day of school being a celebration!

cocoa and coconut said...

Very vibrant little cakes, I'm sure they will amplify your childrens excitement for school

Mary Bergfeld said...

So, what are you going to do with your free time :-). I love the thought of the school year starting with a celebration, and you can count me for any celebration that includes cake. Your cupcakes sound delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Katy ~ said...

What a wonderful way to begin the new school year. Learning is a celebration; I like that thought. And I Love these treats!!

Susie said...

I found your blog finally. WHEW.
You commented on my blog and said we probably lived close because of the RR in my email addy.
Actually I'm at the top of the state. I have a brother that lives near you in Webster and a son in Constantia. :)
I love your cupcakes. I play with cake and cupcake decorating too.
When my kids got old enough to grumble about school I just said "not going it NOT an option, period"! :)
Glad to follow your blog,
Susie

grace said...

back to schoooooool--that phrase always make me think of the movie 'billy madison', which always makes me smile. thanks for that and for a great recipe!

shaz said...

Oh I'd go ga-ga for the sprinkles too :) Great tip about the pancakes, I always flip when the bubbles appear too (which is what most cookbooks tell you to do!). Happy back to school.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Count me in. I'd head back to school with those to start my day. You are making great memories for the kids. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Tracy said...

I love your Mickie Mouse cupcakes! I used to make them for my kids, but after I flipped them I'd add chocolate chip eyes.