Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lemon Luscious Drops

I told my husband I would make something for his company lunch/picnic.  Of course you know I love to bake and this is great because I get to bake and then it goes out of the house so I don't eat it all.  Then I make it and I immediately worry, "is it okay?"  "will other people like it?". So off these little lemon drops went to his picnic shindig.  You know its always a good sign when someone wants the recipe.  And someone does.  Now I will share them with all of you as well. 

And, uh, hold onto your seat, because, I, yes I, used a box cake mix.  Shiver me timbers!  I know, I am gettin' wild on yah.

Lemon Luscious Drops

¼ cup (1/2 stick or 2 ounces) melted butter (I browned it for a little more flavor)
1 cup ricotta (not non-fat)or cottage cheese (full fat)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix

When you mix this up it may seem a little dry- just keep going it all come together eventually.

Cream the butter and ricotta together until fluffy. Add egg and beat until combined. Mix in extract and lemon zest. Finally, add in cake mix.

Scoop up and shape into balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for ten to twelve minutes depending on your oven.

The frosting really makes these cookies I think.

Lemony Butter Frosting

lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juce
1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter
pinch of salt
2 cups (plus) confectioners sugar to get the consistency you desire
2 tablespoons heavy cream (Not necessary but I did beat it in to lighten the frosting a little) Lighten as in lift not calories.

Beat butter and add in remainder of ingredients beating slowly until confectioners is incorporated (less you take a bath in confectioners).  Once it is all in go ahead and whip it a good five minutes.

13 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

It is a good sign when people want the recipe! So glad I've already got it from your blog hehe

vanillasugarblog said...

its the frosting that has me hooked. i need a couple shots of that please. thank you! lol

Avril said...

Beautiful little treasures!

Tracy said...

Mmmm ... I love lemon. These look great!

mely said...

I never thought of using cake mix but the results look great. Very tempting.

Have a blessed weekend Lori.

Mely

Corporate No More said...

That was me that wanted the recipe! I just told Al I must have eaten 10 of them - and they were flying out of the box fast, so I know I wasn't alone. Thanks for the great cookies!

Corporate No More said...

OK, that last comment was from Elizabeth - I had no idea my Google account had me as "hootie"!

The Blonde Duck said...

My MIL would love these!

Lori said...

Elizabeth- thank you for your comment about my cookies!

And I am not going to ask where hootie came from. I can see though that you have a good sense of humor.

Mimi said...

I love lemon so I will even buy a cake mix in order to make these.
Mimi

Julie said...

Ha, not a thing wrong with using a box cake mix if you ask me...they got it perfected! These cookies sounds scrumptious :)

cocoa and coconut said...

Hi Lori!
I've nominated you for a blog award called "one lovely blog award" because your blog is such a delight to read. Pop over to my blog to check it out when you have the chance!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Besides the fact that they look absolutely delish, it's the crazy fact that it uses a box mix that appeals to me! :)

I worry about that too!
~ingrid