Sunday, February 27, 2011

Beef and Broccoli and a Winner


*Oh, guys I am sorry I am a day late in announcing the winner.  Heather. It's you.  You won the Red Pack gift set!  Send me an email and I will let you know the details of how to get your free gift pack.  Congratulations!

My good friend that I grew up with use to order this all the time when we went to the Chinese restaurant.  I was never interested.  Now, I have to say it is one of my favorites.  I love the sauce as you can tell.  I made extra as I love rice with this sauce on it.  Hmmm, so good.   My kids of course didn't eat it.  Ugh!  But I did reserve some of the sirloin before finishing the dish. They ate the sirloin, no problem. It was brown on the outside and tender on the inside.  That is the magic of coating your meat with cornstarch before frying.

Beef and Broccoli
Largely adapted from this recipe at Simply Recipes.

16 ounces of sirloin, sliced thinly across the grain
2 cups broccoli florets
2 tablespoons peanut oil

marinade:
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
2 cloves garlic, very finely minced

Marinate the beef: Stir together the beef marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the beef slices and stir until coated. Let stand for 10 minutes or so.  Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

In a sauce pan cook the broccoli until crisp tender. Drain and set aside with lid off to prevent more cooking.

Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and instantly evaporates upon contact. Add the cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add the beef in a single layer over the surface of the wok or pan (preferably not touching). Let the beef fry undisturbed for 1 minute. Flip the beef slices over and fry for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute until no longer pink, Pour in the sauce, add the blanched broccoli and bring to a boil.If you like your sauce thicker, add in a teaspoon of corn starch dissolved in a teaspoon of water.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One of my favorite dishes, although I have never made it at home. Congrats to the winner.

Heather said...

So excited! Thanks, Lori. :)

This beef & broccoli looks delicious. We're making Kung Pao Tofu this week, and your recipe got me even more in the mood!

Taste of Beirut said...

That is the one dish my daughter always orders when doing Chinese! and I have never made it at home! Shame on me, and thanks to you now I have no more excuses!

kat said...

Totally one of my favorites too.