Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Spanakopita

You know its funny, since I have had a blog, I realize how long its really been since the last time I made something. I am quite sure I have not made this in over five years.  My blog has been aroun d for almost four and I am pretty sure it was in our last house that I made this dish. That is way too long for spanakopita because it is good and really should be made on a regular basis. 

The main reason I don't make spanakopita more often is because I just dont think of buying phyllo dough and it is not exactly in my repertoire of skills.  I usually just buy the local supermarkets brand, Wegman's.  But I have been meaning to go to the Middle Eastern market to get it because it is so worth the trip...  Next time... which will be soon.... especially since my anti-vegetable child liked it.

I wanted to share some scenes from a recent getaway retreat weekend.



I just love ferns!

SPANAKOPITA
*many people put dill in there spanakopita but I did not put it in because my kids are not wild about it in their food- other than dill pickles.

1 package phyllo dough

2 pounds spinach
1/4 cup parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup minced onion
8 ounces feta
1 or two eggs
1 tablespoon butter

egg wash
1 egg
1/4 cup water

Boil spinach briefly, enough to wilt it (if you have baby spinach), if not cook it enough for it to be tender.  Drain and cool. Squeeze excess water out of spinach. Place in bowl.

While that is boiling saute the onions in a tablespoon of butter until translucent.  Add parsley and minced garlic- cook a few minutes more.  Cool and then add to bowl with spinach.

Stir egg and feta into the spinach mixture.  Season with salt and pepper.

When working with phyllo be very cautious to cover the unused portions with a damp towel.  Phyllo dries rapidly and will become to brittle to work with.  If your towel is too damp it will turn your phyllo back into dough.  I use a paper towel that I wet and squeeze dry.  I loosely lay it over the unraveled phyllo.  My phyllo comes in two packages.  I open one at a time.

Lay out one sheet of phyllo and fold over into a long rectangle.  Place  a 1/4 cup to a 1/3 of a cup of the spinach mixture onto the end of the phyllo.  Turn over into a triangle, keep folding into triangles until you reach the end of the sheet. Tuck ends if desired.  Place on baking sheet and lightly cover with another damp paper towel.  Once all the triangles are made, brush with egg wash and place in a 350F oven and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.

If you do not want to mess with all those triangles, take a 9 x 13 and brush with butter.  Add 6 sheets of phyllo, brushing with melted butter between each layer.  Place filling on top and then add six more sheets of phyllo in the same fashion.

2 comments:

kat said...

I love this dish. I used to make the filling & put it in pie crust triangles instead of phyllo dough then take them to work for lunch.

grace said...

i absolutely don't like feta cheese, but i love spanakopita! what does that say about me? :)