Saturday, September 15, 2012

End Of Summer Peaches and Flowers

I went to the market last Thursday and was going to get some peaches to freeze because I am just loving those peach smoothies.  I have been making them with and without the nutmeg, with cereal milk and even with peanut butter (sounds crazy but....).  I was so sad because they were gone.  Not one, not one stinkin' peach in the whole joint.  Whaaaaa!

Thank fully I canned these up a few weeks ago.  We will be eating them happily in the thick of winter.  Little tastes of summer in a jar. I use the Ball canning method for peaches.

Preserved Peaches

about 2 pecks of peaches will make about 14 quarts canned
light or heavy syrup
canning jars, washed
canning lids and rings

Step One:  Make Syrup

Prepare light or medium syrup. I prefer light syrup. Simply heat water and sugar in a sauce pan until sugar dissolves.

  • Light – 2 cups sugar to 1-quart water
  • Medium -3 cups sugar to 1-quart water
Step Two: PROCESS PEACHES PLEASE (some alliteration for you)

Scald peaches.  Meaning get a deep frying pan and heat up some water. Once water is boiling places peaches into water.  Take out after one minute, or less and remove skin. Once they have adequately cooled enough for you to handle,  Slice into desired size- I do eighths.  Pack into jars,  Dont shove them in place them in firmly.  Once you have filled up eight quarts, pour syrup into the jar, leaving a 1/4 inch head space.  Place on lid and screw cap down.  Place into canner.  I usually heat my water in my canner so that it is at least warm by the time I start adding my jars to it.  Add the jars all at once and heat the canner up until it is boiling.  I let it boil for 20 minutes before I remove them.  You should check what your time would be as it varies by altitude.  The Ball canning book is a really good reference tool for canning.  Others are nice too but this is the one I always turn to.  Thats their game after all.

Step Three: Take out those jars and Sit back and Relax

Remove jars from canner and let cool.  You will hear their little popping sounds as they seal.  This is their way of telling you that they are all tucked in all cozy like for the next year or so. And, yes, I have even eaten them after two years.  I am crazy like that.  Now sit back and admire your hard work.  Reach your hand up and over your head and give yourself a nice little pat on the back.  You are awesome.  Now doesn't that make you feel all homemaker like?

No comments: