Monday, November 5, 2012

PUMPKIN ROLL



VICTORY!  I have tried to make these rolls before and I break them all the time.  I just gave up.  Haven't even tried for ten years.  I have really wanted to do a Buche Noel but the thought of doing the roll made me shrink in horror (I know it is a little dramatic but why should my daughter be the only one who gets to be dramatic?).

My Mom is not a traditional kind of birthday cake girl.  She is more of a less sweet cake kind of girl.  I decided to make the dreaded pumpkin roll.  I have a lot of pumpkin here.  It was kind of obvious. I had to do it.

Guess what? I broke it.   Ugh.  Here Mom, here is your birthday blob cake.  Ha!  No way.  MUst make it again.  This time with more strategy.  So I did.  And voila.  I did it. I did it, I did it, I diiiiid it.

It was delicious.  And while this may not be the most low in calorie cake, there is much less of it so that means less temptation at other times.  Plus, without the frosting, it is pretty low in calories.  So by itself, it would make a great low cal, snack cake.

Pumpkin Roll
via Libby's- no they did not pay me or send me pumpkin- this is purely self motivated.


1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin

FILLING
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds



Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Fold in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

FOR FILLING:

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar (or a little more), butter and vanilla in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

COOKING TIP:
Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.

My tip:  Place the sugared towel over the jelly roll pan, then place a flat board, baking sheet, whatever you have and flip it.  There is no guess work that way.  Thne push it off and roll away. Or roll right on it.  I have a flat baking sheet that works really well for this.
I think a buche de noel is in my future.

4 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

wow lori that came out great.
i don't know if I could do such a neat job.
i want to try though, little scared lol

Carrots and cherries said...

The roll looks amazing !!

It is so much worth the effort when you make something special for a dearly loved one :)


Happy Birthday to You mum !!

grace said...

that's really terrific, lori! my success rate with cake rolls is not so good. :)

Cath Brookes said...

Your pumpkin roll does look awesome & thanks for the tips too!

regards,
russel of Hunting and Fishing Stores