Friday, February 1, 2013

Schlotsky's Knockoff Bread

It's not a real exciting picture.  It really should be captured with some avocado, sprouts, cheese, carrots strips...  Or maybe some meat filled sauce slathered type sandwich.  But its not.  Why?  Because I lost my oomph for writing on my blog.  I toyed with the idea of giving it up.  But really its such a great place to keep and actually find recipes of things that I made. I often find myself in the kitchen saying to myself, now what did I do when I made that... whatever it is? I go to my blog and BAM, there it is. I love that.  Saves time!

As the comments decreased so did my enthusiasm for posting.  At the same time my crafty, creative juices started flowing and I have been fairly active with my crafting blog... Craftication.  Better known as Buzz or The Crafty Bees Knees.  It kind of evolved but the name of the blogspot is craftication. I know I should probably combine the two blogs, it would make my life a whole lot easier but it is difficult to think of crafts on a blog called Lipsmacking Goodness and then hard to imagine food on the Crafty Bees Knees ( a little easier to imagine but just not there yet). So until I figure out just what to do, I will post food as often as I can.

So if you are unfamiliar with Schlotsky's Deli, I will tell you about it.  The first time I went to this deli was n Phoenix Arizona and I was totally wowed.  The bread is really what makes it I think.  THere sandwiches are delicious.  I moved away went to college and missed them so much.  When I was visiting Austin Texas years later there was a Schlotsky's and of course I had to go and get a sandwich!  And that was about 12 years ago, whew!

I found this recipe and knew it was a MUST MAKE!

I am passing it along to you.  Next time I think I would make a poolish to make it more sourdough tasting.  The texture though was right on.... at least from my memory.


1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons warm water (110degrees F/45 degrees C)
3/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45degrees C)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal


Directions:
1. In a small bowl stir together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
2. In a large bowl dissolve baking soda with the 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water. Add the warm milk, salt, and one cup of the flour. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour. Batter should be thick, sticky, and smooth.
3. Prepare 2 pie pans with non-stick spray. Dust pans with cornmeal. Place 1/2 dough in each pie pan. Batter will spread during rising time. Spray top of dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise for one hour.
4. Repeat spraying of bread with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
5. Allow to cool for an hour before slicing.

2 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

oh yeah? i have heard of them.
definitely going to print this

kat said...

Yeah, I've thought of giving it up too, especially since I couldn't do so much cooking over the last year & so much of our routine changed. But like you, it is a recipe vault for me.

I wanted to combine my blogs too, but hard to move everything together & have it make sense ;)

I think we all go through these phases.