Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Zucchini Bread




When I make light muffins (or sweet bread) me and my husband eat them.  When I am make full fat, full sugar muffins then my kids eat them.  And truth be told we have a slice here and there.  Depending on our current level of resistance (which is a constantly changing variable).

While I would not call this health food, I certainly would not call it junk either.  Junk to me has absolutely no redeeming qualities.  This I can  say has at least some vegetables in it.  And, yes, sometimes I throw in some flax seed for extra benefit.

Its always good to have a trusted stand by for zucchini bread and this one does not disappoint.

Zucchini Bread

Yield: 2 loaves or approximately 24 muffins

3 eggs
1 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans.  Or if you so desire, line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then vanilla.  Add the shredded zucchini.  In a separate bowl combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Stir the dry mixture into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans. Bake loaves for 60 minutes, testing when it gets closer to the hour.  Stick toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean then they are done. Muffins for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

3 comments:

suzybel56 said...

Can you use a different oil such as maybe half canola & half flax? I don't have coconut oil but I have about 6 zucchini that I want to use up.

Lori said...

Suzybel56- absolutely. Feel free to sub in whatever kind of oil you have that has not taste- canola, vegetable, corn, safflower... any will work. I am trying to stay away from GMO products as much as possible so I use coconut oil.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Definitely a better recipe than one my family used to make! I love zucchini bread - thanks for sharing.