Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Butternut Squash Muffins




These are absolutely tender and delicious. I wanted to turn around and make another batch right away since we were getting company and guess what?  I did. Half of  them I sprinkled with pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds) and the other half I left plain, thinking my girls would not be too into the see thing.  I was going to frost them to make them more enticing.  But guess what?  They totally do not need it and why pile on more sugar when it tastes so good without it.

Butternut Squash Muffins

2 cups roasted butternut squash puree (or canned pumpkin if you prefer)
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1  cup light brown sugar
1  cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp salt
1 cup canola oil
¾ cup buttermilk


In a large bowl add the almond flour, the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.  Make a well.  Add the squash, oil, and buttermilk.  Stir.  Add eggs one at a time to incorporate.  Scoop out a little less than half cup portions into muffin tins. If you are putting pumpkin seeds on, this is the time to do it.  Sprinkle with about a tablespoon of seeds per muffin cup. Bake at 325F for about 20 to 30 minutes.  Test with a toothpick or a skewer. Will make a little over 24 muffins.  I pour the rest into a ramekin.  This is the bonus muffin.

160 calories per muffin.

*I used buttercup.  If you look in my previous post it is in one of the pictures.  It is orange with little green stripes on it.  It is a mix of butternut and delicata.  It is one of the best squashes I have had.  Loved it.  My new favorite.  This is what I used in the recipe.

No comments: