Monday, January 6, 2014

Sweet Potatoes in Bourbon Sauce


It's sad and lonely, one sweet potato in a sea of delicious sauce but it is all I have left people!  These were eaten rather quickly.  At the dinner table it was too dark for pictures.  But I must share it with you because it is a fabulous way to make sweet potatoes.

Yesterday, I made my way through tons of boxes, tissue paper, bows and wrapping paper in my storage area.  All piled there just to get it out of the way.  It's all neat and organized now and in its proper spot.  Whew, that makes me feel so much better.  Sometimes I put it off and it is like a thorn in my side, driving me crazy.  Why do I put it off when it makes me feel so good to do it?

Which led me to thinking as I lay sleepless in bed last night.  Why do I not do things specifically that would make myself happy?  Now, I am not a resolution kinda girl anymore because it just never works for me.  Last night, I did make a resolution, to love myself more.  Love myself by doing nice things for myself.  Eating right, getting exercise and cleaning the house more because it makes me happy.  If I am eating right and exercising more then I will have more energy to clean the house, right?

I think this is the best resolution that I can make or have ever made really. I know its kind of late in the game but I did give up smoking 16 years ago on Martin Luther King.  It wasn't necessarily a resolution but definitely on my list of habits that had to go.  Sixteen years later I couldn't be more happy about that decision.  It was pure freedom.  I no longer had to worry about where my pack of cigs were or if I had my lighter or not.  Cause DANG it sucks to have a cigarette and not have anything to light it with.  Its like a piece of meat hanging in front of a starving lion just out of his reach. 

The goal I always want to have is to lose weight.  That this will be my year.  But I have shifted my thinking.  Loving myself and honoring myself enough to do what is right will likely have the desired result of losing weight but it is where my attention will lay that will serve me much better.  Towards the end of 2013 I did lose 10 pounds and have managed to keep it off over the holidays.  I like that kind of momentum.  And you know I deserve that kind of momentum.  So onward ho!

Just a little tidbit about diets.  I very much believe in eating a healthy, well balanced diet.  That means eating carbs.  I know the rage is no to low carbs with this whole Paleo thing but I have to tell you, unless you are eating tons of fruit you probably will not get the carbs your body needs.  And your kidneys don't like that.  Read about ketosis some time.  If you want, ask me and I will put together an article about it.  Ketones are VERY bad for your kidney and can potentially shut them down.  I worked in dialysis and the last thing you want is for your kidneys to shut down because you did not eat enough carbs.

Simply cutting back on your carbs will have the desired effect.  Certainly choosing the right carbs will also be very beneficial to the level of insulin and satiety. So do your research.

You will find the usual here at my blog.  While I will certainly be eating less sugar that is not to say there won't be an occassional treat.  I also believe in whole, real foods.  No diet crap.  Have the real thing but less of it.  So don't worry, it will be more of the same thing my blog has always been.  Salads, mains, desserts, snack and appetizers and so on.

Whew, that was probably one of the lengthiest posts I have ever wrote. Onto the recipe people! Yeah!

Sweet Potatoes In Bourbon Sauce (swoon)
This recipe, found in December 2013 issue of Southern Living.  Adapted.
My version printable found here.

4 large sweet potatoes, unpeeled
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon butter
Sea salt

Preheat oven to 425°. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork. Place directly in oven.  Bake until done but not mushy. It should still feel a little firm but have give to it.

While the sweet potatoes are baking, bring orange juice and next 5 ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.

Without bringing your fingers. I used a fork and a delicate hand to peel the skins off the potatoes.  You can certainly wait until they are more cooled but I was kind of in a hurry.

Place in a 9 by 13 pan cut side down and pour sauce over them, return to oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, depending on how much you had previously cooled them to peel them.  I like having them in the oven and already to go for company.  It was pretty too. If you want them browned , you can put them under the broiler but you need to watch them very closely as they will go from pretty to charred in no time.

No comments: