Monday, June 23, 2014

Cinnamon Scones


I just recently had a garage sale here at the house.  I have had garage sales in the past.  They are exhausting.  I had some company so that helped quite a bit.  If it wasn't for her I don't think I would have opened the sale on day 2.  My head hit the pillow after it was all over the first day and I was out like a light. Switch to off.  Boom. Out cold.

I got rid of a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff!  But so much more to get rid of.  Donation.

Will I do it again?  eh.  Probably not.

I love going to garage sales.  Apparently, I have liked it a little too much as indicated by the pile of stuff I had to sell.  So, from now on, only what I need.
 
Cinnamon Scones

2 cups flour, unbleached
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup thick buttermilk or heavy cream

Glaze
1/2 cup sugar, blended fine in a blender
1 tablespoon half and half

cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a scone pan.  If you don't have a scone pan, some parchment on a cookie sheet will work very nicely.

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture is crumbly and resembles coarse meal.


In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk, sugar and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

If you are using parchment: form dough into a ball and roll on a floured surface. Roll or pat out to half an inch in thickness and eight inches in diameter. Cut into eight equally-sized pieces. Move shapes onto parchment.

If you are using a scone pan: (yes, I have one and I love it):  Spoon mixture equally into the triangular compartments.

Place parchment on baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
In a blender place sugar and grind for a few moments.  Add in the milk.  Drizzle over scones while they are fresh out of the oven.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

No comments: