Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rice Crusted Quiche




Are you as addicted as I am to Pinterest?  I just can't get enough of that site.  I really enjoy it in the morning when I am having a cope of coffee.  I guess it is like the equivalent to reading the morning paper.  Since I don't read the morning paper I guess it works for me.

The only thing I don't like about Pinterest is at times I can get sucked into the vortex as I like to call it.  Looking dreaming but not doing...  However there is a time and a place for that, right.  I mean you got to dream research and formulate a plan for the things you want to do.  If you don't they never get done, do they?  Well at least for me they don't.

So after drooling about gardens I did finally make some garden beds and have really been enjoying them.  This year I actually have some weeding done.  I have been very lax in past years.  It was just too hot.  This year we have a bit of a reprieve.  This past summer froze the Great Lakes  and I guess they were still pretty frozen mid April.  So a bit cooler weather this summer.  Since I don't like hot hot hot weather- like 90's this totally cool for me.  Maybe I will get some long needed yard work done instead of drooling over all the cool things on Pinterest.

Rice Crusted Quiche

crust

2 cups cooked rice
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

filling:

5 eggs
2 cups broccoli, cooked and chopped
4 ounces shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of Tabasco
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F.  Grease a 9" inch pie plate.

Mix crust ingredients together and press into pie plate evenly over top and up the sides. Place in oven for 5 to 10 minutes.  It should be a little golden.

In same bowl that you mixed the rice in, combine eggs and milk, whisk for a minute.  Add in remainder of ingredients and stir with a spoon. Pour into rice crust and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, until the egg is nearly set in the center. Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting. 

No comments: