Saturday, August 16, 2014

Banana Bread with a Crumb Topping

Change nothing of this recipe- it is super delicious.My husband exclaimed, I think this is the best banana bread you ever made.  I was a tad bit insulted... But I will take the compliment on the other hand of that statement.

Is it the crumb topping.  I don't know.  I do think it adds a lot.  However, I don't think that is the only reason why it stands out from the others I made.  Honestly I think it is the amount of eggs.  This is really light, Its not dense and it has terrific flavor.
Banana Bread with a Crumb Topping

1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 to 3 overripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a large loaf pan or two smaller ones.

Beat together the sugar and butter and beat until smooth and the butter is fluffy.  Add in the egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in the buttermilk and bananas.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet until all the flour is incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.

Make the crumb topping by combining the powdered sugar, flour, cinnamon salt and melted butter. Using your hands, crumble the mixture over the batter in the pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: