Monday, August 4, 2014

Kale Crust Pizza

For all of you people who might think this is one crazy recipe- its not- its amazing.  Yes, a lot of people are going kale crazy.  (Just so you know, I liked kale when kale wasn't cool.)  Now that kale is so cool, lots of kale recipes abound.  I saw this recipe and thought, that's kind of interesting but I highly doubt it's any good.  Maybe kinda good.  I like kale so I decided to give it a try.  OMG!

I really liked it.  My Mom, who is a bit skeptical about crazy recipes, liked it, my daughter liked it (see pic below), my husband liked it.  This recipe will definitely be made more than once in this house.  (Since I wrote this I have made it two more times.)

Try it.  You'll like it.  Really.

Kale Crust Pizza
These measurements are loose.  Meaning that you should make it as saucy, cheesey or garlicy as you like.  Its all up to you.  This is a rough guideline.

2 heads of kale (you should end up with 6 cups cooked kale)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Peccorino Romano or Parmesan or Asiago
a hand full of basil
2 cups tomato sauce or pizza sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
3 tablespoons olive oil


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Sauté garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until golden.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Prepare Kale
Cook kale until it is tender.  Drain water from kale and cool.  Squeeze the kale in batches to get rid of excess water.

In a bowl whisk eggs and stir in kale, garlic with the olive oil and Asiago.

Arrange in a thin layer on the parchment.  You dont have to get fussy about the shape but you do have to make sure there is not scraggly ends.  These will burn as you bake it.

Place in a preheated 350F oven until the edges are brown.

Remove from oven, spread tomato sauce over top.  Sprinkle with basil chiffonade.  Sprinkle cheese over top.  Return to oven and bake for 10 to fifteen minutes more.

No comments: