Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Lemon Bars

Lemon bars are kind of old fashioned aren't they?  I remember seeing a recipe for them in my Victoria magazine in the 80's.  I made them and brought them to work. They disappeared.  I dont think I have made them since then.  Geez, has it really been that long since I made them.  I guess so.

This old fashioned dessert pairs nicely with these pics that I am sharing with you.
We have the good fortune of living near the Genesee Valley Country Museum.  It is a Village.  It is filled with all sorts of amazing things.  This past weekend they had Laura Ingalls Wilder days.  That was my favorite show growing up.  I think of all the television shows that are out there or were out there- that one really shaped me. Here are a few pics from our day there.





A guy making pickles- little did he know I was about to make some the very next day.
This one here has sauer kraut on the left.  And it just so happens I chopped mine up today- its in the crock now- three huge heads.
 Freshly churned butter mixed with herbs.  A must do for me.
 The oxen- the one on the left has some attitude.
 Some seeds in an old seed package.
 Some St. Johns Wort and salve.


Lemon Bars


crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 yolks

filling
4 eggs
1½ cups white sugar
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
4-6 lemons, juiced (about ⅔ cup)


Preheat oven to 350F.

Beat butter and sugar together for a few minutes.  Add in yolks, beat until combined. Add in flour and beat just enough to combine.  If it is crumbly, no worries, just press into your 9 x 13 evenly.  Place in a 350F oven for about 15 to 30 minutes.  The crust should be lightly golden.

Pour the filling directly over the hot crust and place it back into the oven for 20 minutes.  Now, I know it is going to look way to jiggly to remove it after 20 minutes but it is done.  As it cools, it will set perfectly.

 

1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

LOVE this post, L!
And your lemon bar recipe. I have been looking for a good one for ages. Can't wait to try yours.