Sunday, August 10, 2014

Refrigerator Pickles

I figured I would get this post written because someone had my pickles last year and asked me this year what I put in them.  I didn't remember so I referred to another recipe and made it myself and it wasn't at all similar.  Then I had to think.  The following is pretty much what I probably did last year to make my pickles.  But honestly I have been known to change things up a bit like maybe put in some sugar or even throw in some juice from some store bought pickles that was leftover in the fridge.  I know, like real scientific being all exact, right? 

The only thing I changed this year is adding the mustard seed.  The jalapeño... last year I did some with and some without.


Refrigerator Pickles


2 quarts of water
1 cup white or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pickling salt
3 to 4 pounds of cucumbers - small pickling cucumbers are best
2 large heads of dill
8 medium garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 jalapeno for a spicy pickle (seeds discarded, unless you like it real spicy then by all means throw them in there)

Boil water, vinegar and salt together.  While that is getting ready to boil, in a clean jar combine jalapeños, cucumbers, dill, garlic and mustard seed. Pour the boiling liquid over the cucumbers and all.  Cover, let sit on the counter at room temp for at least 24 hours and up to two days.  Refrigerate.  They will stay preserved for a while unless of course you eat them all.

No comments: