Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Hatch Corn Salad

Have you heard about Hatch Chilies?  The New Mexico Chile "...is a group of cultivars of the chile pepper, initially developed by pioneer horticulturist, Dr. Fabián Garcia, at New Mexico State University in 1894, then known as Las Cruces College and the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. These peppers were selected to have a "larger smoother, fleshier, more tapering and shoulderless pod for canning purposes. "  According to Wikipedia.  They are the chilies you find in the can at the grocery store.

Our local grocery store had them this year and told people to come and get them.  I did, of course, being the foodie I am.  And I roasted them up, used some and froze the rest.  This corn salad is one of the things I made with the chilies.
It really is prettier with some red peppers in it or even orange but all I had was yellow. Too matchy, matchy.
Hatch Corn Salad

2 cups corn
1/2 cup red onion
1/2 cup bell pepper, preferably a contrasting color
1 hatch chili, roasted and diced

1/2 teaspoon sugar
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon avocado oil or some other mild oil
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

Hatch Chile Roast

Roasted under the broiler. Place in a pot or container with a lid while still hot. The steam will help loosen the skin from the pepper.

Gently pull away skin.

With the back of the knife, swipe away the seeds.
Chop, divide into bags and freeze.  All ready for your recipe this winter.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love Hatch Chilies! Ours were really HOT this year. Love the salad---was it spicy?

Lori said...

They did have hot and mild. I bought some hot because I didnt know hot they were going to be. I put them in the first time I made this salad. WOW- yes, they were hot. Then the mild was almost no heat for me but good for the kids.