Monday, April 18, 2016

FAUX SAUSAGE AND SPLIT YELLOW PEA SOUP


I love going to Amish stores.  Some are more expensive than others but I like the deals, I like looking at the different things they have.  Recently I found this mix, it's  a spice mix for sweet sausage.  I bought because I want to make my own sausage.  I was making soup yesterday and decided to add it in.  Pow! Sausage flavor in the soup without the sausage.  Perfect for my vegetarian daughter.

I realize that you may or may not be able to find this mix so I listed out the ingredients for you to add to the soup., so there will be a similar effect.

As for me.  I will use it again.

Just a note, when cooking dry beans, don't be afraid to add in flavors while you are plumping them up.  I usually do the customary soak overnight.  I drain in the morning and add the seasoning and cook until plumped.  I often times put Montreal Seasoning in with mine.  The flavor goes into the bean and helps the over flavor of whatever you are using it for.

Faux Sausage and Split Yellow Pea Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery
2 whole carrots, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cups yellow split peas
3 quarts water
1 tablespoon sausage seasoning (see below if you dont have it)

Saute onion, celery and carrot in butter in a soup pot.  Cook until lightly golden.  Add in water, seasoning and yellow split peas.  At the end of the cooking time, about 50 minutes, add in spinach.  Cook until spinach has wilted and the yellow split peas are soft.

Sausage Seasoning Mix

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fennel, crushed
1 tablespoon cane sugar or brown sugar if you dont have it
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid or fresh lemon juice if you dont have it

Mix all ingredients together.  If you are using lemon juice instead of ascorbic acid.

No comments: