Monday, May 30, 2016

Rio Tomatlan in Canandaigua, Finger Lakes Region, New York



My friend and I stopped in and had lunch at Rio Tomatlan in Canandaigua.

I ordered the Pollo con Mole, Chicken with Mole Sauce.  There were elements to this dish that I liked and elements that I did not like.  The server said if you like peanuts, you will like it.  Its pretty nutty. Sadly, I found the sauce to be watered down and definitely no nutty taste at all.  Peanut taste is pretty easy to pick up on, so I am kind of surprised it was so vastly different then her suggestion.  Just so you know, I can pick out flavors pretty easily in dishes.  I definitely have a trained palette. (Amateur but knowledgeable, yah know).

The parts of the dish I really liked is the cilantro, cojita, pickled jalapeno peppers and the pickled purple onion.  It was a nice foil to the sauce.

The refried beans, which I really like usually, were a bit bland, they totally could have used some garlic and more salt.

This was the first Mexican restaurant, like, ever, (and I have been to many) that did not serve salsa and chips automatically.  It was an appetizer you could choose to pay for, or not.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was bright and colorful.  Beautiful table cloths and colorful bird cages hanging from the ceiling.  Paintings all over the walls of Mexican people and Mexican life.  Lots of visual appeal.

I would go again but I certainly would not order the mole.

My friend ordered the chorizo and sweet potato tacos (pictured above) which were the special of the day.  She reports that they were flavorful and delicious.  

No comments: