Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Poached Rhubarb With Pancakes


Do you know who Donal Skehan is?  I love that guy!  He is so vibrant and full of energy. He really is intoxicating.  If you are in a blah mood, listen to Donal and you will be rejuvenated.  At least I am. He has tons of amazing food videos.  He did live in Ireland but recently moved to LA to be on Food Network.
Here is one of his recipes.  The flavors are unique in this one.  Star anise, pistachio, mint...

His recipes cover everything from the every day, comfort food to ethnic food ( a man after my own heart, because that is exactly how I cook).  The recipes he fixed here is a takeoff from a restaurant in Ireland.  I decided to give it a go.  I did not have semolina so I made my normal pancakes. My recipe for the pancakes below.

Poached Rhubarb
Adapted from this recipe by Donal Skehan

about 10 stalks of rhubarb, small to normal size
juice of two oranges
skin of 1 orange without the pith
2 star anise
1/4 cup candied ginger

In a 9 x 13 pan mix together juice of two oranges and honey until honey is dissolved.   Wash and clean stalks and cut into 3 inch pieces.  Lay down in the pan.   Place orange skins, ginger and star anise into pan.

Serve with pancakes.  I place some candied ginger, chopped mint leaves and pistachios over top along with some of the juice.  Spoon some rhubarb next to the pancakes.

Pancakes

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
3 to 4 cups buttermilk, depending on the thickness
1 egg

Stir the dry ingredients together and then pour in the buttermilk and the egg.  You want the pancake batter to be about the consistency of ketchup- a thicker style ketchup.  Pourable but not runny.

No comments: