Friday, June 3, 2016

Vanilla Donuts



June 3rd is National Donut Day.  I have some sweet little donuts to share with you.

I had them glazed for my children and added some of these cute little flowers sprinkled all over top.  However, as morning progressed the glaze was absorbed but I have to say they were just as delicious.  I had mine with tea in the afternoon.  Morning and sugar do not go together for me, save for a little in my coffee.

For the glaze, I added some strawberry flavoring.  You can flavor it any way you see fit though.  The nutmeg that is in the recipe really helps out.  I think it boosts vanilla flavor.  A 1/4 teaspoon is just enough to give you a hint rather than overpowering it with nutmeg flavor.

I have to tell you that every time I look at the picture above I want to glaze those donuts.

Vanilla Mini Donuts
These donuts are not real sweet.  Which is good but if you want to amp up the sweetness, then glaze them.  See recipe below.

2 2/3 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup buttermilk*
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup oil
glaze (optional)

Mix dry ingredients: flour , baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, sugar.  Set aside.

Mix wet ingredients:  melted butter, oil, vanilla extract and eggs.  Mix the wet into the dry and stir just until combined.

Spoon into greased donut sheet and bake.  I made mine in a Baby Cakes machine.  I spooned heaping tablespoons into the little wells.

Glaze while warm.  To make glaze combined confectioners sugar, about 2 cups, a tablespoon of milk and whatever flavoring you desire.  Add more confectioners sugar or liquid to make a runny mixture that you can drizzle over top of donuts.

*You can substitute the buttermilk with a 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream or a 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup yogurt.


No comments: