Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Dilled Cucumber Salad


Today was the day of the cucumber. I made bread and butter pickles, then I made refrigerator pickles and what cucumbers I had left, I made this cucumber salad.  I have eaten this type of cucumber salad my whole life.  As far as I know, it is a Polish recipe.  My Grandmother was from Poland.  She made it.  My Mom always made it and now I make it too.  Dont know why it has not found its way onto the blog.  No worries, here it is.  Recorded for the kids and all of you.

DILLED CUCUMBER SALAD

5 cups of sliced cucumbers, ends cut off
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1 small onion, preferably a purple onion
pepper to taste

Sprinkle the salt all over the cucumbers and onion, let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes.  The salt will pull moisture from the cucumbers.  If you dont do this, the sour cream will get watery.  But if you eat it fast enough it doesn't really matter.  I have done it both ways. It really is better if you salt them first.

After the cucumbers have lost some of their juice, rinse them off, squeeze them out and place in serving bowl.  Mix in dill and sour cream.  Season with pepper as desired.

No comments: