Sunday, October 29, 2017

Barb's Carrot Cake


I acquired this recipe when I was working as a Home Health Aide, about 30 years ago.  I was working for this amazing woman who had a child with Cystic Fibrosis.  She needed overall help.  This woman helped to shape my life.  She made all of his baby food by freezing dinner items in ice cube trays and then into storage bags in the freezer.  When I later had my children, long before it was the 'in' thing to do, I did the same thing.  She baked her own bread and shared a few of those recipes with me.  She had down comforters, I ended up buying down comforters for my beds.  There was so many ways that she impacted my life, in a good way, I couldn't begin to tell you all of it.  I admired her so much.

This is an homage to her, Barb, for being such a great role model!

Barb's Carrot Cake

This time I added a combination of apple butter and applesauce so my cake was darker than usual.

2 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla

4 eggs
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup oil

In a mixer or a bowl mix apple sauce, vanilla, oil and sugar.  In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Mix into the wet ingredients and then add eggs one at a time until incorporated. Finally add the raisins, carrots and walnuts.

Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan with high sides and bake @ 350° for 35 to 45 minutes.  But I found it can take an hour. You will know it is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frost with cream cheese frosting or as desired.

No comments: