Sunday, January 7, 2018

CRANBERRY LIME CHUTNEY

I wouldn't be lying if I told you that my dear hubby has been eating this stuff straight up.  I tried to explain that it is a condiment of sorts or a side to complement something else, like turkey.  He's pretty sure its perfectly okay to eat it by the spoon full!

The first time I made it, I did not have an orange to complete the recipe but I was all in at that point so I went ahead and made it anyway.  This past time I included the orange.  OMG!  It really made a difference.  I will be making it a third time very soon with the last of my frozen cranberries.

CRANBERRY LIME CHUTNEY

2 c. fresh cranberries
2/3 c. dark brown sugar
1 large orange, peeled, pith removed, cut into 1/4" slices
1 T. grated lime zest
3 T. fresh lime juice
1 medium tart apple, such as Granny Smith, pared, cored, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2-3 tablespoons water

In a saucepan combine all the ingredients, except cornstarch mixture, and cook on medium low until the cranberries have popped and everything is tender. Add the cornstarch and cook until it thickens.

No comments: