Friday, April 4, 2008

HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CAKE

It was the King's birthday today and I am happy to say he received the royal treatment. The cake is from Epicurious. I loved the cake but would skip the chocolate chips it called for the next time I make this recipe. I did not want to make the icing it called for. I really wanted to incorporate Hazelnuts into the cake. So off to food blog land for some inspiration. At userealbutter, I found this lovely Swiss Chocolate Buttercream recipe and am so glad I did. (I did halve the recipe in an effort to save some calories).

Here it is whipping away acting all chocolatey and happy. I did make one mistake though that I would like to pass along. At the end of the recipe you put in Nutella and Frangelico. I decided in an effort to be more efficient I'd put them in the same prep bowl. Somehow the alcohol set the Nutella. I do not know why but it solidified it immensely. So when I added it to the frosting there were tiny chocolate pieces of Nutella that just would not incorporate. But no one even noticed.


There is the mistake sitting in that clear little bowl. Anyway it was happily eaten up and the remains sent off with my husband to his work!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nutella and Frangelico sound great to me! You would think after that sweet DBer's cake challenge that I wouldn't want any more cake, but no ;)
You have me craving it again, Lori!

Casdok said...

Mmmm that looks really good!

Shelly said...

Yum! Nutella and Frangelico? Oh my goodness gracious. Could you e-mail me a piece of that cake...I think I would like it with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

Helene said...

I think I hurt myself licking the screen :)