Saturday, September 13, 2008

GREEN TOMATO JAM, Part II


So here is the second installment of green tomato jam experiments. I LOVE this jam! It has the viscosity of a really thick corn syrup or molasses in January. It has amazing flavor, different then the other one and well worth making. My husband was eating it by the spoon fulls. The inspiration for the recipe came from a book called, Mes Confitures by Ferber. Thank you Tartelette for the recommendation.

There is a different process for making this jam. It's not the usual American way for making jam. I hear by warn you that if you are not comfortable with experimenting with different jam processes than try this with the canning processes set forth by Ball or any source that you do feel comfortable with.

I am so JAM happy, I tell you! It's a winner and it will soon be dressed up for the Holidays in gift baskets with homemade crackers.

SPICED GREEN TOMATO JAM
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness

1 1/2 pounds of green tomatoes that are chopped and seeded
2 3/4 cup granulated sugar
juice of one lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon all spice
2 inch piece of ginger, minced

Start with about two pounds or more of green tomatoes. Slice them and remove as many of the seeds as possible. Chop and set aside until you have about 1 1/2 pounds. Mince a two inch piece of ginger. Combine with green tomatoes in glass bowl. Add to this 2 3/4 cup sugar and juice of a lemon. Stir well. Cover bowl with parchment paper or a cutting board and leave overnight.

The next day, pour the mixture into a heavy bottomed sauce pan with the cinnamon stick and 1/2 teaspoon allspice. Bring to a boil and simmer lightly for about ten minutes. Pour the mixture back in a clean glass bowl. Refrigerate overnight. I let it sit out on the counter as it was cool enough.

The next day, bring mixture to a boil again. Boil for about fifteen minutes and place in canning jars (half pints). Clean rims, place lids on and screw bands on. Turn them upside down for fifteen minutes. Place them right side up, cover with towel and allow to sit for at least 12 hours to make sure they seal. Yield 4 half pints or 32 ounces.

*Note: you can strain the mixture to get the skins out but I like the little chewy pieces. Please refer to Ferber's book for details.

16 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never heard of green tomato jam, but it looks like the perfect thing for my Southeren husband!

kat said...

I can totally imagine that on some cream cheese on a cracker! yum!

grace said...

i'll go ahead and say it--i wish i was receiving one of your holiday gift baskets. :) jam happy, indeed!

Gabi said...

This sounds so good I will have to try it. My tomatoes are just ripening now -a bit late so I know that by the first frost I'll be looking for things to do with the green stragglers. Thanks a bunch and I am so glad you liked the peach jam!

hungryandfrozen said...

Ooh this sounds interesting. I'll definitely have to give it a try sometime - I really want to get into jam-making! :)

kat said...

Lori, I am on day two of making this jam right now & it smells amazing!

Lori said...

Oh man, I can not wait to hear how you liked it. You make lots of great jam so I am really curious what you think of the process and the product.

kat said...

Ok my jam is done & posted today http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-frost-green-tomato-jam.html I did a few things a little differently in the process & the color is really darker.

ChickiePea said...

I just found you through a comment you posted on another website about canning (chow, maybe?) WOW!! I see several of your recipes (at first glance, even!) can easily be adapted to fit our diet. Adding you to my favorites right now! And this, by the way, is next on my list of things to attempt!
:)
Thanks!

Bethany said...

I am in the process of making this..just posting this in case you have time to respond! any particular reason it takes 3 days or can i condense day 2 and 3 together if i am pressed for time? i love slow food, but don't have the schedule for it :(

Lori said...

Bethany- I dont know where you are in the process. It needs the time to macerate.

Unknown said...

I just finished making this. The jars are still hot :). I had to scrape up the extras from the bowl with a piece of toast. . .soooo good!!!

Lori said...

Hi Julie, I am glad you liked it! I think I will be making another batch here soon as well. I have a mountain of green tomatoes presently.

Jay Edgar said...

Has this recipe been tested for food safety? I'm hesitant to not at least water bath for ten minutes.

Lori said...

Hi Jay- It is from a French book all about jams. The woman does not process her jams in a cold bath. I would say to follow your comfort level. Current US standards would have you process it for 10 to 15 minutes.

Unknown said...

Fantastic shot of the jam…love it!
Click here