Friday, April 17, 2009

BROCCOLI and CAULIFLOWER SOUP

For many soup season draws to a close at the end of winter. For me it just keeps right on going. Warm and cold soups it doesnt matter. My Mother, who grew up on a farm, told me about eating soup in the summer. Her mother told her that the soup helped the farm hands to sweat and thereby cool off. My Mother remembers them all sitting together under the shade tree eating soup.

That shade tree has many an interesting story. My Grandfather, Jaju (don't know how to spell that in Polish), was quite the joker. I guess he and his brother Walter use to do some pretty funny stuff (maybe it was all that moonshine, who knows). On Sundays, after chores were done, they'd gather for a picnic under the shade tree. My Grandfather use to put a ladies wig on for kicks. Of course living by a busy road this was not a good idea. People driving by couldn't help but stare. Ah, yeah, back in the 1930's and 40's I'd say that would be a sight to behold.

Then of course there is the story of them fishing at the fish hatchery and being chased by the police afterwards. Yes. That was my Grandfather.

The bread below, pumpernickel, is yet another glorious bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I had borrowed the book from the library but I see now that I need to have it! I have been making bread from there regularly. While I will still make bread from other books, this one here will be my everyday-kind-of-bread-kind-of-book!
Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup

3 cups broccoli, chopped
3 cups cauliflower, chopped
4 cups turkey broth
1/2 or whole onion
1 sm. potato, diced
4 oz. cheddar
1/2 c. milk
1 garlic clove, minced
pepper to taste

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

Saute onions in a tablespoon of butter until golden. Add broth, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, and potato to a boil in a 4 quart saucepan. Reduce heat, cook covered, 15 minutes. Remove about 1 cup broccoli and cauliflower pieces, set aside. Cook soup 10 minutes longer. Add shredded cheese and heat until melted Pour into blender and puree until very smooth. Return pureed soup to pan with reserved vegetables and heat through, but do not boil or cheese will curdle. Add milk, salt and pepper.

16 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Soup and home made bread. What could be better? :)

Soup season is on all year round for me too.

kat said...

Great soup & perfect with that bread!

Bunny said...

There is nothing that tops a bowl of good homemade soup and bread, your making me hungry now!!!

Pam said...

You can't beat homemade soup and bread. It's cold and rainy today - this would be perfect for dinner.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, given the strange weather we've bee having we may all be eating soup in June. Both your entries are great solo but together they make a special meal.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

The soup and bread looks good but I loved the stories of you grandpa! He sounds like quite the character! :)Tell us more.
~ingrid

grace said...

great soup, great bread, fabulous story. i knew someone who thought cauliflower was ripe broccoli. :)

Tracy said...

The soup and bread both look great! I've got to look for that book at the library ... it's hard for me to justify another cookbook!

Anonymous said...

The Playlist was the perfect accompaniment on this little adventure (I don't cook much). I had all the ingredients except the cheddar, so I substituted 4tbsp. grated romano -- it turned out beautifully (some of the melted romano settled to the bottom of the pot, so I washed it before returning the puree to avoid a scorch). I'm pleased I tried your recipe.

rachelle | tinkerlab said...

I just found your recipe, and it's DELICIOUS! I had cauliflower and broccoli in the fridge, and this was the perfect thing to make with them. Thank you!

Lori said...

Rachel- you are welcome. Thanks for your feedback. I am very glad you liked it.

Daniela said...

This is just the recipe I am looking for thank you. I have broccoli and cauliflower in my fridge and I cant wait to try this out!! yum

KJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KJ said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. My mother in Canada led me to your site after she made your soup for family there and got rave reviews. I made it here in New York City and gave some to my neighbor who had a broken ankle so she could have some dinner and both she and I are very happy with this soup. And this is the first soup that I've ever made in my life! Thank you for making it easy, but making it GREAT! Now my neighbor thinks I'm a great cook!

Lori said...

KJ_ thank you so much for your comment. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Cheers!

Jean said...

I loved your soup, I did add a smidge of dried thyme and marjoram and a few red pepper flakes. I will take it to lunch all week if it lasts that long!