Tuesday, August 19, 2008

BLUEBERRY MADNESS

So funny I have now seen these blueberry crumble bars in several places. The first place I saw them was Smitten Kitchen. Today I saw them at Equal Opportunity Kitchen. And even on Equal Opportunity Kitchen they will direct you to yet another blogger that did these fine bars. How funny is that? So now if you have seen them in any of those places you get to see them one more time (at least).
I have to say that these melt in your mouth. They are sooooo good. My kids liked them for breakfast (with milk).

I made a mistake when I did the recipe I put the lemon zest in the blueberries. Next time I will just put it in the dough like your suppose to.

BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE BARS
Allrecipes

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 4 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cornstarch
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and cinnamon, if desired. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the shortening and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.


In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.


Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
(If you can wait).

7 comments:

PG said...

I think there are about 4 or 5 of us who made this same recipe. It's funny how some recipes pick up on the blogosphere.

They're pretty good, eh?

Did putting the lemon zest in the blueberries make a big difference to the taste?

Thanks for the link!

kat said...

I love how things travel through our community. Ben at What's Cooking & I were laughing about how we all inspire each other to make things

Lori said...

Psychgrad- They were good. I would like to put some toasted what germ in there and a little whole wheat just to give it some bonus nutrition. Definitely a keeper.

The lemon flavor was concentrated in the blueberries but it tasted fine. The dough was just kind of plain. I think really you could but the zest in both.

Kat- Sometimes I make things and dont blog it because I copied it. I try not to be so repititive but man when something is as good as these blueberry bars. I just cant help myself!

grace said...

a batch of these would last about 2minutes in my presence. they're gorgeous and you've done a great job with that recipe!

Noob Cook said...

omg just look at these crumble bars! you're a pro in baking! (unlike me, heh)

giz said...

I have to smile - I'm sure this recipe would win a prize in the most loved category. Every time I see them I think they're just as wonderful as the last time.

Elizabeth said...

These look so good! I wonder if they would be good with raspberries.... or blackberries... oh the possibilities!