Friday, August 8, 2008

PECANS AND BLUE CHEESE?


What? A bread made with blue cheese and pecans? Oh yeah. And it is so good. Even my Mother who is not big on blue cheese, loved it. She couldn't wait to have a piece with her coffee. I kept telling them the whole week that I was trying out this recipe and they kept giving me the look. You know, the "oh-my-goodness-what-strange-thing-are-you-making" look.

I will definitely be making this again when grapes are in season. Some apples, pears, grapes and this bread and definitely a glass of wine. Okay I am in a daydream, kids with my parents, me and my hubby on a picnic eating this wonderful lunch. Do your daydreams include food like mine?

BLUE CHEESE PECAN BREAD
adapted from Martha Hill Foose's book, Screen Doors and Sweet Tea

4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, chilled
2 oz. blue cheese
1/4 cup chopped pecans, roasted
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 lg egg

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add cheese and nuts. Toss. Make a well in the center and add 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and the egg. Stir until you have a soogy dough.

Lightly knead on floured surface. Form into six inch round. Place on parchemnt. Brush with buttermilk. Sprinkle freshly grated pepper on generously. Cut "X" in top (shallow).

Bake ten minutes then reduce oven temperature to 375 F Bake 35 minutes more.

1 comment:

Megan said...

That bread does sound wonderful with a glass of red wine. YUM! Wish I had some because I'm in the napa valley right now and that would a perfect pairing!!!
Also love the tip of the day!