Monday, January 26, 2009

African Peanut Stew, done lightly



I have been wanting to make this stew for a while now. I figured it would be off limits as it usually has quite a bit of fat in it from the peanuts. Yes, I know, I could have eaten it and maybe had a quarter of a cup but I always want more, don't we all? Instead here is a version that has been healthified. Usually the soup does not have beef but I have been in need of some iron so you can easily eliminate it and replace with endamame and vegetable broth.

AFRICAN PEANUT STEW


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped (about 1½ cups)
1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1¼ cups)
½ cup chopped carrot
½ cup chopped celery
4 garlic cloves, minced
one inch piece of ginger, grated
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
1 bay leaf
8 cups water or broth
1 lb. of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
1½ lbs. of very lean stew beef, chopped into bite sized pieces
¼ cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Coarsely ground black pepper

Saute onions, carrot, celery and pepped over medium heat until soft. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Add chopped beef and cook until beef is browned.
Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, ginger and bay leaf; cook, uncovered, until tomatoes are slightly reduced. Add broth or water and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 8 minutes. Stir in peanut butter until combined. Cook until thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and and chopped peanuts.


No craft today but check out this animal that appeared out of nowhere. I was peeling my sweet potato for the soup and I looked down and saw this. Had to laugh and take a picture to share with all of you.

6 comments:

kat said...

What a yummy looking stew & I think your little guy looks like a hedgehog

Maria said...

I am loving this stew!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Lori! Great comfort food.

grace said...

i love your alterations. i'm still waiting for peanut butter in soup to be the next big thing--it's glorious! :)

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds great! Are your apple cinnamon muffins healthy? I'm craving apple strudel in a bad way and trying desperately not to bake so I don't wreck Ben's diet. HELLLPPPP

Bunny said...

I've never made anything like this before, it looks really good Lori!