Sunday, January 18, 2009

And the winner is......


I asked my daughter to pick a number from 1 to 23. Maybe that's random, maybe not. She chose 4. So Shelly of This Old Farm, you are the proud new owner of Cooking Light 2009. Yeah!

On with the recipe of the day. Tapenade. It may not look pretty but it sure is tastey. I was looking for a recipe for tapenade the other day and came across Dave Lebovitz's Tapenade. It was different than all the rest. I like the sweet addition of figs to counter the saltiness of the olives. This recipe is a winner. If I had to do it all over again, which I inevitably will, I will add the rosemary.

TAPENADE
based on this recipe from Dave Lebovitz

4 oz Black Mission figs
1/2 of a pound of kalamata olives, pitted
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained and squeezed dry
2 tablespoons parsley
1/4 cup (150 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
black pepper, freshly grated

Rinse the olives in a colander before you begin. In a food processor, place garlic and let run to finely chop garlic. Add parsley and do the same. Add the figs, kalamatas, lemon juice, capers and oil. Pulse in two second intervals. Do not process to much. You want it a little coarse, not a puree.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Yippieeeee! I just told my husband and he said "and you say you never win annnything...".
Thanks Lori, I'm really excited!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yay, for Shelly!

The tapenade looks great! I've been wanting to make some but I'm not sure anyone in the house but me would eat it. Sometimes they like olives seomtimes they don't. Kids!
~ingrid