Saturday, January 10, 2009

Black Bean Chili for a Chilly Day!

With all the squash I have been consuming, I should rename my blog, "Squash Licking Goodness". Did you get a mental picture there? In this recipe I have added it to chili. I am happy to report it was some tastey!

For dinner I had two cups of this chili with an ounce of regular cheddar and a half of a slice of wheat bread. A whopping 460 calories for dinner. That's not bad for a dinner and it was very filling. Some of those instant frozen dinners have about the same amount of calories and they are not nearly as satisfying. And you can freeze this to boot! Package some up in one or two cup servings for a quick go to meal.

Vegetable and Black Bean Chili
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness Original

4 cups black beans (2 cans)
2 cups roasted squash
1 tablespoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups salsa or chopped tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons canola oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, minced
1/2 cup chilies, chopped (I used Hungarian Peppers)

Saute onion and pepper in oil. Heat until softened and slightly golden. Add minced garlic, cook one minute more. Add tomatoes, beans, chilis and spices. Cook about twenty minutes ( a little less if you used canned beans). Add squash at the end and heat just until the squash is warmed. Before serving sprinkle with cilantro, green onions and cheese.

Calories per cup (just the chili, no cheese): 150
I generally use Calorie King to figure my food values.

Bench Notes:
If you really want to carmelize your onions do not add garlic until they are almost there. The garlic tends to stick and burn.

I use to use the canned chilis all the time, thinking that is what I HAD to use. Now I realize that the chillis that I roasted and chopped and froze in the summer are really much more flavorful. Try it, you like it!

2 comments:

kat said...

Oh, love the idea of squash in your chili. I'm am totally making this next weekend!

grace said...

i've said it before, and i'll say it again--keep the squash goodness coming! black beans rock my world, and i love the fact that you tossed some squash in!