Friday, January 23, 2009

BROWNED BUTTER OAT BARS



These are amazingly flavorful bars. And they are the kind of bar that you can fool yourself into thinking that their healthy. With 2 cups of oatmeal you can make up some good excuses why they are okay to eat when you are trying to lose weight. Just so you know, so far I have successfully avoided that trap. Of course they are only a few hours old. But seriously before I would have eaten at least two by now.

We have company coming tomorrow so there was a good excuse to make them and a good excuse why they need to leave the house tomorrow when my company leaves.

One thing you need to do when you make this recipe is that you really need to brown the butter. Don't just see it starting to turn and remove it from the heat, make sure it has turned golden, you know the color of butterscotch.

BROWNED BUTTER OAT BARS

2 cups oats
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup butterscotch chips

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

In a bowl combine flour, oats, salt and baking soda. Set aside. Measure out brown sugar and set aside. In a large bowl place the butterscotch chips.

In a small sauce pan melt butter until it has browned, turning a deep golden color. It goes from golden to burnt quickly so keep an eye on it. Once it is done whisk it into the butterscotch chips, whisking until it is smooth. Add the brown sugar and then the vanilla. Finally whisk in the egg. Using a rubber spatula stir in half of the flour mixture, combine and add the remaining flour.

Spoon into pan, patting with the back of a rubber spatula to smooth out. Bake for about 20 minutes. The edges should be golden.


JUST try to eat one...

9 comments:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

After reading the title BROWNED BUTTER I'm not even going to TRY and eat just one!! I'll be making these this weekend not sure if I have oats so maybe not tonight.

Thanks for the recipe and delish photo! Kinda reminds me of a blondie (love me some blondies) a healthy version of a blondie! HA,yup, that's what I'm telling myself and you better not try to make me see it otherwise.
~ingrid

kickpleat said...

um, anything with browned butter is okay by me! yum.

grace said...

yes...i enjoy sending along the decadent baked goods away from me with my guests. i get a taste, but don't have to worry about future temptation. :)

test it comm said...

These oat bars sound really good. I like the use of the browned butter.

giz said...

These remind me somewhat of the flapjack recipe from Rosie. They look simply wonderful and although I'm staying away from most sweets, I think I have to try these to make for an upcoming sweet table event.

Snooky doodle said...

these look delicious :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Made 'me! I loved them, the twins loved 'em, babygirl won't try 'em! Hate when she does that she has a friend over who is waaay picky and because the friend won't try it, Babygirl doesn't want to try it either. :-(

Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper, and I'll be passing it along with a link back to you!
~ingrid

Vera said...

Lori, these bars look so yummy!

Jodi said...

These look like a perfect snack!