Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Carrot Orange Bisque

Today my three year old was at Granny's so I had time to set up this shot for the soup. So I asked myself, is this normal to have this grande love affair with food. Ah, probably not but it is one of the most essential things to life isnt it? So I guess if I was going to pick an obsession, this is a pretty good one. But, alas, the times have changed and my focus isnt pastry, it is light. Light done right. This would be one of those light done rights!

In the recipe below I used corriander. Many people dont realize that corriander is the seed of the cilantro plant. It's funny, to me, it has kind of an orangey kind of taste. I thought it would go nicely in this soup.

Carrot Orange Bisque

2 lb. bag of carrots, peeled and cleaned
1 medium onion, chopped
zest and juice of two oranges
pinch of corriander
2 teaspoons canola oil
enough water to cover the carrots by about an inch

Chop carrots into one inch chunks and set aside. In a stock pot saute onion in canola oil until lightly golden. Add carrots and cook one minute more. Add water to cover the carrots plus about an inch. Add corriander, zest and orange juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Once the carrots have become tender, remove from heat and puree in a blender (or with an immersion blender). Serve with a dollop of sour cream or garnish with parsley.
calories 85 per cup.

9 comments:

kat said...

Yum, all the carrots soups around lately are really tempting me. The lighting on your picture is perfect so hard to get in the winter

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Very interesting combination of carrot and orange! -- Ning, Heart and Hearth

Anonymous said...

Of course, it's ok! It's passion for life! Italians know this innately. Great soup! I've been privately cheering you on in your adventure, Lori! Keep it up!

grace said...

that's a whole lotta carrot goodness in one bowl--so simple, so good for you. so good, period. :)

Helene said...

Happy belated blog anniversary Lori!
I know I suck at commenting but just wanted to know that I follow your adventures from afar (woohoo...it's me waving) and what you just said on my blog just about made me cry! I must be super emotional these days....Nah! You are a gem! Thank you for coming by and allowing us to be here!
And now the soup....must be made this weekend! I love carrot soup!

test it comm said...

That bisque looks nice and vibrant and good!

Shari said...

This sounds delicious. I bet oranges and carrots are wonderful together!

Shayne said...

grande love affair with food...yeah I think it is normal, its those people that don't that are not

Susan @ SGCC said...

All of us Italians have a grand love affair with food! It's in our genes. ;)

The bisque looks wonderful! So velvety. And your photo is lovely, too.