Thursday, January 22, 2009

CHICKEN BURRITO with fire roasted salsa


One of my must do's in the summer is to make fire roasted salsa. Once you have had fire roasted salsa, regular salsa seems somewhat bland. I am not tooting my horn here, it's really just the process of smoking the tomatoes on a grill that makes this salsa stellar. My friends love this salsa, so I make plenty to share. You can scale this recipe back, find these amounts in parentheses.

Lori's Fire Roasted Salsa
Inspiration from Chevy's Restaurant

(10) peck of tomatoes
(1 or 2) 3 or 4 jalapenos (red is better but green works as well)
(1 cup) 5 spanish onions, skins removed
(1/4 cup) 1 bunch of cilantro about 1 cup chopped
(1 teaspoon) 1 tablespoon kosher salt
(2 tablespoons) 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
mesquite or hickory wood chips

Soak wood chips and place a few over a hot fire. Roast the tomatoes, onions and jalapenos. The skin should be blistering and splitting on the tomatoes before you remove them. The more you smoke the veggies the better they taste. Remove the skins off the tomatoes and jalapenos too (if you have the patience). Discard the water from the tomatoes. Place all the smoked vegetables in a large pot, including vinegar and salt and cook for about twenty minutes. Remove from the heat and process in the food processor. Add chopped cilantro.

If you are canning them, pour into sterilized jars with about 1/4 inch head space. Place lids and bands on. Cold pack for thirty minutes.

7 comments:

kat said...

I love fire-roasted tomatoes so I can only imagine how wonderful this is!

Maria said...

Your salsa sounds awesome!! I would put it on everything!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Lori, Hi! I'll be honest I'm not crazy about salsa. I'm still learning to like tomatoes.

I'm here for the amazing butterscotch brownie recipe that you taunted me with. Please won't you post the recipe? So that you won't eat the whole batch you can mail me all but a few. Remember we're not that far!? LOL! Common on, lady give it up!
~ingrid

The Blonde Duck said...

I love this! Yum. I can't get enough salsa.

Robin said...

Smoked veggies too! This sounds great and I am one of those weirdos who likes cilantro! Very colorful photo. Did Ingrid say you are holding out on us- bring on the brownie recipe, you can cut the recipe in half or fourths because we are all trying to be good!

Lori said...

Okay-----------

Twist my arm, I will make the bars and endure torture so that you can all have the recipe. I tell yah, the things I do for y'awl.

grace said...

what a delicious meal--one of my favorites! and you go right ahead and toot your horn--you deserve it for what sounds like a stellar salsa!