Thursday, January 8, 2009

Coconut Shrimp Soup

I have worked out every day since Sunday, about an hour and a half. Actually, I feel some changes already. I find with my food plan that I am very successful if I plan out what I eat. It gives me a guideline for the day and I pretty much stay within the guideline. It's kind of like a check book. If I know my dinner is going to be 550 calories then I can eat accordingly all day. It's a pain in the neck but others have all said that it really helps you to be more successful.

This was an amazing soup. It had so much flavor! The coconut really jazzed things up. I found that with the carrots and the coconut it was a little too sweet. I added some lemon in to balance that out.

Yesterday when I was eating the last of this soup I threw in some roasted butternut squash. The shrimp and the butternut squash really complimented each other. It was a surprise for me. Next time its going in as part of the soup. (Yes, I still have squash from the fall).

Coconut Shrimp Soup
Lori's Lipsmacking Original
105 calories per cup (There is 1050 calories for the whole pot of soup)

8 cups shrimp broth (I made mine from boiling the shrimp peels in water)
1 pound salad shrimp
juice of half of a lemon
1 cup peas
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic
2 carrots, chopped
2 teaspoons canola oil
4 green onions, chopped
1 can lite coconut milk

Saute carrots and red pepper in canola oil until carrots are crisp/tender. Add garlic, cook one minute more. Add broth and cook for about fifteen minutes. Add peas, coconut milk and shrimps and cook until heated through. Sprinkle chopped green onions over soup when serving.

Stay tuned for my Blog Birthday giveaway...

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow! I can't believe you workout form an hour and a half; I have just been walking for about 30 minutes. I need to step it up a bit.

Anything with coconut is good; thanks for the recipe.

kat said...

Wow, that sounds really good. & how interesting about the squash. I still have 4 left from this fall too.
Good for you with the working out! We are joining a gym tomorrow so hopefully we'll be as motivated

Lori said...

Sheila- I have been working out for years and I usually workout three to five times per week. I have upped it for myself but recommend upping slowly for anyone.

Also, if you do really intense 30 versus 1 and half hours, the ebnefits can be just as good.

If you go to a gym ask the trainers there they are chalk full of information.

Kat- how very cool. I hope I hear more about your progress!

grace said...

sadly, as much as i love coconut, i think i dislike shrimp even more.
and kudos to you for your workout chops--keep it up!

Shelly said...

105 calories of yum! Keep those lo cal recipes coming...we can do it!