Monday, January 19, 2009

A CRAFT and SOUP: Minestrone for a Crowd

At our birthday party I served some soup and sandwiches. It was nice because it meant that I could spend more time with guests. Who wants to be in the kitchen alone when all the guest are over, um not me.

I have a question for all of you. If there are two people, both heavy, weighing the same amount and having the same amount of activity. Assume all things being equal between them. Person A eats 1500 calories of bad food, refined sugars, flour, processed, etc. Person B eats quality food, vegetables, fruit whole grains, 1500 calories as well, who would lose more weight or would they be about the same? What do you think? Obviously one would be a little healthier.

MINESTRONE SOUP


2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups zucchini chopped
2 slices (about an ounce) of prosciutto
4 quarts (16 cups)of tomato juice
4 cups water (depending on how thin or thick your tomato juice is)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil (fresh if possible)
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 can (2 cups) canneloni beans
1 can (2 cups) garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

Saute onions, carrots and celery in olive oil and butter along with prosciutto. Saute until the vegetables are golden. Add juice, water, 1 cup each of the beans and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer for up to an hour. After you get the soup to a simmer stage, in a processor combine garbanzos and canneloni until pureed. Add only enough water to help turn it into a puree. Add to soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Bench Notes:

I have been known to add 1/16 to 1/8 of a teaspoon of cayenne. It gives it a flavor boost without being to overly powerful. It also helps to warm your body on a cold day.

A T-shirt bag. Sew bottom. Shape top into handles with scissors and sew to reinforce. I got all fancy and put the decoration on it. I picture it loaded with greens from the Farmers Market this Spring... Can't wait.

There's a little video on You Tube on how to make one of these with duck tape, no sewing required. Check here.

5 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

My husband is obsessed with minestrone! I'm so glad you posted this!

kat said...

I would think that the unhealthy foods & the healthy foods would metabolized differently though I don't know how that would effect weight. Cut bag, a good reuse project

Bunny said...

I'm sorry I've missed alot of your posts Lori, I've been down and out with a terrible cold, the minestrone soup looks so good, I could eat some of that now.

grace said...

awesome bag! [and the soup's not too shabby, either. :)]

Maria said...

Minestrone is one of my favorite soups! Looks delicious!