Saturday, January 10, 2009

Creamy Fruit Salad


This dessert was such a treat. It tasted so good, it might have been a piece of cake for how much I enjoyed it. This tastey little indulgence only cost me 180 calories which really was worth it. Knowing I can have it again tomorrow, if I mind my calories, makes me smile. Oh, the little things in life!

Today, I went to Zumba (which is actually yesterday by the time you read this). I have to tell you folks I was seriously bummed when class was over today. I have been going for a while now but it was such a break from my week of cardio machines that I simply loved it. In case you haven't heard of it, it is a dance/aerobic class. Lots of Latin music, Hip Hop and African music to PUMP you up! It's addicting. There are, no lie, about 80 people in our class! It really is infectious. Check out my teacher Shelly here. She is the COOLEST! Sometimes I think I go just to see her funny faces she makes while we all sweat our tushies off (literally).

So I offer up this "recipe" as more of an idea than an actual recipe. I had it once at a restaurant long ago and I just loved it.

Simply mix up some fruit. I used apples and pears. Mix some yogurt (plain) with honey and drizzle over the fruit. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of walnuts. Of course you can add whatever flavors you like. I used vanilla yogurt (low fat/aspertame) on mine and it was about 180 calories for the bowl (1/2 cup pears and apples, 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 tablespoon walnuts).

4 comments:

Bunny said...

That 's a great idea Lori, I'd really like this! How may calories are you allowing yourself?? You sound like your burning most everything you eat off with all the gym time you get! You go girl!

Lori said...

My goal is 1400- 1700. I have been doing mostly 1700. No white carbs- lots of vegies, fruit, grains and protein. And LOTS of water!
I still cant give up my sugar in y coffee though!

grace said...

this is a great dessert--totally guilt-free and still delicious and healthy. yogurt is simply magical. :)

Dolores said...

Thank you for your endorsement of Zumba. I'm looking to change things up a bit in the gym, and that's one of the classes I was considering. I'm certainly far more fit than I was a year ago at this time... it will be interesting to see if I can keep up with an hour-long class. :)

And thanks for the fruit salad idea. This would make a GREAT breakfast.