Saturday, January 31, 2009

FIESTA SOUP

Yup, four weeks into my Biggest Loser thang and some stuff is getting old. Like soup every day or salad every day. Yikes, I need to get out of my salad/soup slump. I guess the fact that we have had chicken soup quite a bit lately didn't help at all. It's good but I need to spice things up a little. So I did.

I basicly used a Chicken Soup base here and did some add ins. The add ins are really what makes this soup shine.

FIESTA SOUP
These vegetables decided to get together, not just for vegetable soup, but for a vegetable party!

6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup carrots, sliced thinly
1/2 cup celery, sliced thinly
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cup corn
s and p to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup salsa
2-3 ounces per person of deli turkey or chopped poultry

Saute onions, celery and carrots in canola oil. When they have turned transluscent add broth and bay leaf. Cook for 15 minutes. Add corn and cook until the corn is heated through. Divide soup into four bowls, about 1 1/2 cups per bowl. Top with sliced or chopped turkey. Spoon salsa and cilantro over that.
About 300 calories per bowl, depending how much turkey or chicken you use.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Great looking soup!! Warm for the tummy and soul!

Debbie said...

Yeah, but I'm impressed that you are sticking to it!! 4 weeks in and still going. Woo hoo! I am horrible with "follow-thru".
so I say...good for you!!
oh..and the soup looks good toom.

grace said...

this soup would definitely be like a party in your mouth! i hear ya though--soup or salad every day can get old. hang in there!

The Blonde Duck said...

Mexican-style food makes everything better!

Bunny said...

You go girl, 4 weeks in and still going strong! This soup looks very good and satisfying!

giz said...

I wouldn't even see this as diet food. I love it.