Saturday, January 3, 2009

Stollen and Some News


I have "stollen" a recipe from Jude over at Apple Pie, Patis & Pate. Okay, so I am a little corny, I will admit it.

One of the things I enjoy at Christmas time is Pannetone or Stollen. Either one is fine in my book. Pannetone is light and luscious but takes a great deal of time and planning. Stollen is a similar animal, not quite as fattening but definitely tastey nonetheless. This recipe is no exception. It was very tastey and easy. Instead of taking days to make it took a morning. And there it was, we had it for New Year's. It was nice to have a lighter style dessert. I am "sweeted" out!

Oh, yes, the news, this blog is about to take a major turn. A turn for the light. No, not the tunnel (at least I hope not). Lori's Lipsmacking is about to go healthy. My new goal for this blog is to serve up some majorly tastey, light and healthy food for me and all of you. Food that will make you not even miss the fattening stuff (at least for the most part).

Stollen
taken from this recipe with some minor changes

350g bread flour (about 2 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup sugar
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp mace
½ tsp clove
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp instant yeast
1 cup raisins
½ cup candied orange peel
2/3 milk
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, plus 2 yolks
2 tbsp dark rum
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Extra melted butter and icing sugar

Combine the white flour, sugar, salt, spices, yeast and fruit in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a food processor.

In a pan, whisk the milk and wheat flour, bring to a boil. The mixture will become very thick. When it has thickened to a porridge like consistency then it is done. Place the butter in the pan with the porridge. It will melt sufficiently in the pan.

Combine this mixture witht he dry mixture, then add eggs, rum and zest.

Knead or use mixer to fully incorporate the mixture. You may need to add a 1/2 cup or so of flour. You should end up with a smooth ball of dough. Let rest for 10 minutes, then knead lightly.

Place dough in a bowl with a little bit of oil, let rise for about 90 minutes. Fold dough over on itself a few times and shape into a form, log or round.

Bake at 350F for about 35 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on shape used. If you do a round, tent it toward the end of the baking process.

Remove and set aside. When cold, spread all over with a thin layer of melted butter, then a thick layer of icing sugar.



9 comments:

Bunny said...

Healthy sounds good Lori, maybe you'll inspire me to eat healthy, Lord knows I need too!

kat said...

I can use some good light recipes so bring em on!

The Blonde Duck said...

While I adore the stollen, I'm really excited you're going healthy. God knows I need it! So no more craft and a cookie? :( What about healthy cookies? :) Oh sweet wounded wuffles!! Healthy cookies, por favor!

Debbie said...

Corny...maybe, but it made me laugh. Thanks. I should be going light too. I'll look to your blog for inspiration.

Shelly said...

Perfect! I know I'm going to love what you come up with. Yesterday I was wondering where I was going to come up with interesting ways to eat healthy for the next six months...and ta-daaaa....you came to the rescue!

test it comm said...

That bread looks good!

grace said...

bring on the goodness, lori! and i'm ashamed to sayit, but i laughed out loud at your cheesy joke. :)

Robin said...

Healthy? What's that! I am right there too. After all the eating and gorging through the holidays I am ready for some fruit and veggies. Can't wait to see what you cook up for us!

Jude said...

Glad you liked.. It's a really good and easy recipe for stollen.

Good luck on your new undertaking!