Sunday, May 17, 2009

An Inspired Banh Mi

I love when a recipe just reaches out and grabs my collar and says make me! You need to make me! This was one such recipe. I saw it over at Kat and Matt's A Good Appetite. I love to visit their blog to see what they are up to. Lots of yummy food and clever ideas. It's a regular stop for me.

This tastey little mouthful of a treat has lots of great things going for it. It has tastey little pickled carrots and radishes, jalapeno (amazing) mayonnaise, and marinated pork. We had it two days in a row. The first day I had defrosted the pork and did not have time to marinate it. I also used store bought rolls. The second day it had marinated over night and it was on some fresh rolls that I made from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day. You know, it was delicious both days! Even if you skip the marinade it still tastes amazing. The flavor really comes from the mayo and the pickled veggies.

Vietnamese-Style Grilled Pork Po'Boys

from Emeril at the Grill via A Good Appetite

Grilled Pork

3 green onion, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeño, seeded & minced
3 clove garlic, minced
1 T sugar
pinch of pepper
1 T Vietnamese fish sauce
juice of one lime
4 pork chops

In a resealable bag mix the onion, jalapeño, garlic, sugar, pepper, fish sauce & lime juice. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pork & seal removing as much air as possible. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours up to overnight, turning occasionally. Remove the pork from the bag & let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and let it get really hot. Place ppork on frying pan and sear it. Turn the heat down. If the slices are thick cover to let cook completely. Remove when internal temp reaches 160F. Let rest & slice into 1/4-inch slices.

Pickled Carrots & Radishes

1 c rice vinegar
3 T sugar
1/4 t crushed red pepper
1/2 t salt
1 carrot, thinnly sliced on the diagonal
1 1/2 c thinly sliced radishes

In a small saucepan bring the vinegar, sugar, red pepper & salt to a boil. Stir until the sugar & salt are dissolved. Plae veggies in a jar and pour in marinade. Refrigerate covered for at least a day or up to two weeks.

Makes about 2 cups.

Jalapeño Mayo
Matt's expert mayo! delicious!

1 jalapeno, seeded
1 green onion
1 clove garlic
1/3 c mayo

Put jalapeno, green onion & garlic into a small food processor & chop. Add the mayo & process until smooth.

6 comments:

kat said...

Glad you enjoyed these as much as we did. I agree Matt's mayo was out of this world!

grace said...

i'm seeing these everywhere, but i still haven't tried the particular combo of ingredients. your rendition looks fabulous!

Irene said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Great combination of flavors

Mary Bergfeld said...

Oh, boy. This looks good. I'll wait till every forgets about your bahn mi before posting mine :).

Jude said...

Emeril is the last person I expected to publish a Vietnamese recipe. This looks so good!

Julia said...

I love Banh Mi, but my favorite shop in Boston stopped serving them! With such a great recipe, I'll have to make them at home now! But still hard to beat the $2 sandwich at the Viet Market :)