Monday, June 29, 2009

Chocolate Mousse and Coconut Dacquoise with Raspberries

Mousse is my latest obsession. I go through phases of discovery with all these new things. The first obsession was French macarons- I made quite a few of those. Then it was buttercream- especially Dorie's recipe. Now it's mousse. I was never really into mousse before because the amount of fat in it. But now I am finding, just a little bit of mousse can hit the spot. Especially with some fresh fruit. Besides there are mousses made with other things besides heavy cream which I am sure you will be seeing here on my blog soon.

I made this cake for my Dad and my husband for Father's Day. It was so wonderful after the entree we had... you will see that in a few days. It was deceptively light.

I started out with Dorie's coconut dacquoise:

1 cup (65g) unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup (60g) slivered almonds
1/2 cup (75g) plus 1 1/2 cups (175g) confectioners (icing) sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
8 large egg whites (240g) at room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Put the coconut, almonds, 2/3 cups of the confectioners’ sugar and the cornstarch in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.

Working with a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, then beat until the meringue is thick and glossy and holds firm peaks. Using a large rubber spatula, very gently fold in the coconut mixture. Spoon one third of the meringue (about 2 1/2) onto each outlined rectangle. Using a long metal icing spatula, spread the meringue into the meringue into smooth, even layers.

Bake the meringues for 3 hours, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 1 1/2 hours. The meringues should be golden and crisp to the touch. Let cool completely on the baking sheets on racks.

Then I made a mousse (Tartelette's recipe) to go between the layers with the raspberries:

6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (62.5ml) whole milk
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 stick (55gr) butter
1 egg yolk
1 cup (250ml) heavy cream, cold

In a bowl set over a pan of simmering water or a bain marie, melt together the chocolate, milk, espresso powder and butter. Remove from the heat and let cool to lukewarm. Whisk in the egg yolk. In a mixer, whip the cream to medium peaks and fold it into the chocolate mixture.
*you can put the mixer bowl in the fridge to cool it down as well, so that when you add the cream it will help the whipping process.


Cristine said...

What a fantastic variation! I bet it tasted fantastic!

kat said...

Just gorgeous!

Lucy said...

So very TEMPTING & GORGEOUS!! Wishing I was a neighbor stopping by for a cup of sugar! ;-)

Mary said...

This is really lovely. Quite out of the ordinary. I'm really tempted togive this a try. Have a wonderful day.

Grace said...

that is SUCH an elegant dessert! on top of its pretty appearance, it sounds like it would surely be a party in the mouth. really nicely done, lori!

Lori said...

Thank you all. I wish you could all come over for a slice with coffee or tea.

bittersweetblog said...

Wow, this is incredible! I don't know how you could bring yourself to slice and eat such a work of art.

Murasaki Shikibu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Murasaki Shikibu said...

I love dacquoises. But never have I seen them like this. They are usually these small dainty things. Your cake looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure it was delicious. :)

Ingrid said...

Isn't funny how we'll go on a run with a flavor or technique? I know I don't do it on purposes.

Your dessert was lovely!

Related Posts with Thumbnails