Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Flatbread with Cheesy Filling

Lucy from Sweets, Savories, etc. and made this incredible looking flatbread. I knew I had to make it. As I have mentioned before, sometimes, I mix up two batches of a recipe that I know I will make very soon. I had this Rosemary flatbread that I made and I knew I would make it again, very soon, wrong, so I had all the dry ingredients in a bag. I saw Lucy's post and I knew I was finally going to use that bag of dry ingredients. All I had to get was the zucchini.

I had some Swiss cheese in my freezer so that is what I used. This whipped up quick as she said, nevermind that I already had the dry ingredients ready to go. It was a pretty presentation and it was something different.

I know that flabread usually does not have yeast in it but I wanted this to be somewhat pliable.

And the Rosemary, if you don't know Rosemary, you should. She's the kinda girl who grows on you. The more you have her around the more you will want her around.

Rosemary Flatbread
adapted from King Arthur's, Whole Grain baking: Rosemary Flatbread
(have I mentioned that I LOVE this book?)

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups durum flour
1 1/3 cup ap flour
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (or two packets)
1 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 cups of shredded cheese
2-3 cups zucchini thinly sliced
1 cup minced red onion

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix in the water and olive oil. Knead in bowl until dough comes together. Place on floured countertop and continue to knead adding flour as you go. You do not want a sticky dough but it should be a little on the sticky side so that it stays moist when it bakes. Let rise until doubled about and hour to an hour and a half.

Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out half the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle about two cups of cheese down the center. Fold over sides, like a business letter. Transfer to a baking sheet. Push down on dough and then cut slits on top. Lay zucchini slices and chopped red onion over top.

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks old-fashioned good, Lori. I love flatbread, I love cheese....thus has my name written all over it.

grace said...

i've met rosemary, and we very quickly became friends. :)
i'm also pretty tight with cheesy bread, so i'm loving this creation. it's purty too!

Lucy..♥ said...

Lori, I love what you've done with this flat bread. When I originally made this flatbread I was pressed for time, so I followed the recipe as written.

Furthermore, this recipe is easily transformed into whatever your heart desires with the use of dough, cheese, or veggies.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, it's always nice to get feedback on one of your own posts... Thank you!

XXX's

kat said...

Now that is some cheesy goodness

The Blonde Duck said...

This looks stupendous.