Wednesday, June 10, 2009

KICK --- Chicken Salad

While I do not have a pretty picture like Kayotic Kitchen, I do have the recipe and of course the taste of this wonderful dish in my mouth. I have made it twice now. Does that say anything about it's taste? I used two different kinds of bean sprouts on two seperate occassions- I liked them both. If you make it and want to post it, my advice to you is take a picture before you add the sauce. The brownish, peanutish sauce washed all the colors of the salad away. Fear not though because it brings lots of flavor to make up for itself!

Indonesian Chicken Salad
Based on this recipe from Kayotic Kitchen

2 cups baby potatoes, fresh and unpeeled
1 cup cooked chicken
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
1 large carrot, shredded
3 green onions, sliced finely
1 English cucumber, 1/2 inch chunks
1 to 2 cups beansprouts
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, minced (to your taste)

the sauce:
5 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 chili pepper
1 tsp ginger
4 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lime

Whisk sauce together, set aside. Cook potatoes until just tender, drain and cool. Cook chicken if you don't already have chicken ready to use. Chop all ingredients and place in a large bowl. Take a picture now, before you add your sauce. Add sauce and taste and enjoy.

This is a great picnic salad. Has everything- protein, veggies and carbs- a versatile meal in one. Just bring a nice wine and dessert.

10 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks really good. I'm going to try this. I love all the ingredients
and am especially drawn to the peanut sauce.

kat said...

Oh, this has some great ingredients in it I bet its fabulous

Anonymous said...

looks great! I think I'd really enjoy your version.

Maria said...

What a tasty salad!

Bunny said...

Well I've never seen a chicken salad like this before, it looks great Lori!

Donna-FFW said...

This chicken salad sounds like a definite keeper. I love the dressing. Your photo is lovely!

grace said...

i think your picture is plenty pretty--such a fabulous salad could never be unattractive! the sauce sounds unique and quite tasty. :)

Robin said...

This sounds like a fun chicken salad. So glad to hear your party went so well! Grea that everyone noticed that you were having fun too!

Lori said...

Love this recipe! It has so many flavors I would have never thought of, but everything I like. Yum!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

This sounds very appetizing to me now as it's as warm as the tropics here already. I think I might try making this tomorrow!