Sunday, June 7, 2009

Manicotti

We have all been sick. I will spare you the gory details but I wanted to let you know that I will be back to visiting blogs real soon.

This recipe is a little time consuming but well worth the effort. The end result is light, fluffy ricotta filled crepes that melt in your mouth.

Manicotti


Crepes:

1 C flour
1 C milk
¼ c water
2 eggs
pinch of salt
2 T butter

Whisk flour, milk, water, eggs and pinch of salt together. Once combined add melted butter. Pour by ¼ cup full onto a hot griddle. Swirl the batter around the pan to make a thin circle. Flip crepe when it becomes opaque.

Filling:

2 pounds of ricotta
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3/4 cup peccorino romano cheese, grated
s an p
pinch of nutmeg

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.

Marinara Sauce:

2 quarts tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix (oregano, basil, marjoram)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Saute onions in garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add sauce and seasoniong, let simmer for about 20 minutes or more. If you do not want chunks of garlic and onion, you can puree it in the blender.

Assembly:

Pour enough sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish or 13 x 9 to cover about 1/2 inch.
Place about a 1/3 - a 1/2 of a cup of filling in the crepe. Roll and place in dish. Continue to roll until all the filling is used up.
When I get down to the last four crepes or so I divide the filling by the amount of crepes to make sure I don't have any leftover.
Pour sauce over the top of the crepes.
Bake at 350F, covered for about 45 minutes to an hour.

12 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm sorry to hear your gang has not been well. The manicotti looks delicious. Feel better!

kat said...

That looks gorgeous! Get better soon!

Justin said...

wow, i am REALLY impressed you made crepes to put this together. yum.

Shelby said...

I haven't made manicotti in so long - Sounds delicious. Hope you continue to get better!

Trish said...

Wow....you are indeed impressive gal. Making crepes?! Good Grief! Hey, thanks for stopping by my place. 100 calories for 1/2 cup...hmmm...oh well...those are calories well spent I say...uhm...in case anyone else reads this we be talking about my passion for edamame! Anyway....I am liking what I see here and will put you on my sidebar if that is okay? Thanks for stopping by again and get better soon...all of you!

CookiePie said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well -- hope you're all better soon! Meanwhile, that manicotti looks fantastic!!!

Bunny said...

I hope you are all feeling better soon Lori. Your manicotti looks wonderful!

Barbara Bakes said...

Love your version! Crepes instead of noodles is right up my alley.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I haven't been feeling too well either. Hope you all get well soon - and this is perfect comfort food! :)

Robin said...

I have always used pasta for my manicotti but the crepe version looks so interesting. I will have to give it a try some day.

grace said...

perfect wrapper-to-cheese ratio. :)
feel better!

Unknown said...

What a great idea and how impressive that you made these crepes! That forkful looks so yummy.

Sara/imafoodblog.com