Saturday, June 13, 2009

Peach Amaretto Jam


I know, you want to lick that spoon... I know you do. Who would blame you? It's a very tasty combination Peach and Ameretto.

So this is from last year when peaches were in season. I had to post this because time will hurry by and I want you to have the recipe so that when stone fruits are in season you will have it. I had just recently got some up from the cellar to give to my neighbor as a thank you. I realized I did not have it on my blog. So I did not have the recipe. I turned my papers upside down looking for the recipe. Then I remembered it was from the internet. I had to put it on my blog so I can find the recipe for myself as well. A bit selfish I know.

Warning:
This is the Feast Within's recipe. It's a very good one. But I do not do the cold packing thing with jams and jellies. If you are afraid of the canning process you should probably do it her way. If you have canned jams and jellies and feel that cold packing is not needed here, then do what I did. Your choice. Generally, sugar acts as a natural preservative and jam has a distinct way of letting you know it is bad- MOLD. In the old days they use to use just wax. Other countries are quite a bit more loose for processes. But again I defer you to your own comfort level.

Peach Amaretto Jam
based on this recipe from The Feast Within

4 cups fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped small
8 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter
1 packet of liquid pectin
1/3 cup Amaretto liqueur

equipment needed:

funnel
7+ - eight ounce glass canning jars, screw bands and inner lids
large pot
Sterilize your equipment

In a large non-reactive pot mix the peaches, lemon juice and sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved add the butter which will reduce foaming. Heat over med-high to high heat stirring constantly until it reaches a boil that doesn’t stop when you stir. Stir in the pectin and boil one minute. Add the Amaretto and stir in. Remove from the heat and skim any foam off with a metal spoon.

Spoon jam into jars, making sure to wipe the lids clean. Any jam on the rim of the jar will prevent a good seal. Once filled and lids with screw bands are tightened on, flip jar over for ten minutes. Flip back over. Leave for 12-24 hours for the jam to gel and the lids to seal. You should hear a soft “plonk” when each seals. Label (cause you always think you will remember cause you're so excited, but you will forget) and store. Refrigerate and use immediately any that do not seal.

11 comments:

kat said...

That jam sounds really good. I've never heard of sealing the jars the way you did, interesting. With our jam we processed them in boilig water for 10 minutes

Mary Bergfeld said...

That is a wonderful combination for a jam. I really bad...I freeze mine, not out of laziness, but to retain color. Your jam is mouthwatering!

Lori said...

Kat- I don't know why I got in this habit. I guess it was from my Mom. I am always afraid that when I process it that the jam will loose its set.

Mary- I always do strawberry freezer jam. It tastes so much more strawberry-ee. This did retain its color and flavor.

grace said...

yeah, i definitely feel the urge to lick that spoon! it's such a lovely color, and i know it'd taste terrific too. excellent.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

This sounds really good. Too bad I don't have the equipment for making this. :P

Murasaki Shikibu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
test it comm said...

I really like the sound of adding amaretto to a peach jam!

Isabelle said...

Sounds delicious! Peach and Amaretto perfect duo.

mommagirl said...

Could I make this and stick it in the freezer? I made strawberry-peach and strawberry-rhubarb freezer jam last week. And honestly it was my first attempt at making jams or jellies. I'm not sure how all this works!! This recipe looks DELICIOUS! Thanks for your help!

Lori said...

I am so sorry I didnt answer this until now. I have been playing catch up on my emails. Anyway, you definitely could put it in the freezer.

Cathy said...

Can I use frozen peaches?